Menu
Skydancer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Support woes with Virgin Media and Gadget Rescue...

I had problems with BBC iPlayer buffering. Had 2-3 engineer visits. Couldn't fix problem. Blamed on the BBC. Waited about a year to two years for BBC to improve service. Nothing. Got onto Virgin again. More blame game. Happen to talk to support who said the new Virgin Hub solves the problem. Was told it would cost some £90 to replace, plus £185 to exit current contract. Huh? To solve problem with a bad service? I fought. Eventually agreed to pay £20 postage and set it up myself.

Last year, I upgraded my Mac to latest OS (it's free, BTW!). Soon after, began experiencing slow wifi and drop outs (loss of IP address). I waited for Apple to fix the issue. Several updates later, no fix. Phoned Virgin Media in case they had a solution (maybe input network settings manually, as I was reentering them automatically after loss of IP). Support tried to get me to rent/buy a booster from Virgin Media. Why was it working before if it now needs a booster? Some 20 minutes later, he suggested I contact their Gadget Rescue.

Unsuprisingly, Gadget Rescue wanted to charge £20 setup fee, then £5 a month. I said go ahead but I will only pay if it's NOT a Virgin Media related problem. I was asked to download screen sharing app. Now their tech could see my screen, so disconected phone call.

I was asked to go to the hub site. I was asked to put password found under the hub. Well, I had changed it, so why I wasn't asked for the new password and just assumed the default would work beggers belief. I put in my password but it was NOT hashed, so tech could see it. I quickly deleted it (he hadn't seen it because his connection kept dropping!). I said I will NOT show my password. This went on for 10 mins with him repeating to enter my password, me repeating I won't, and his connection dropping. ITE, I quit the screen sharing app.

I logged into the hub site, looked around. Remembered Virgin Media had applied some updates. Deselected 'Enable 5 GHz,' and haven't had, so far, any slowdowns or loss of connection altogether.

I then phone Virgin to tell them that not only does the login password needs to be hashed, but the network password in the hub site also needs to be hashed given other people can see both. Unfortunately, I got in touch with the Gadget Rescue team, who wanted to resume the session. I said I cannot because they can see my password. Their response? We see it with others, and no one has complained. Huh? What has that got to do with anything?

I phone Virgin Media again and got in touch with another support, who understood my worry and raised the issue, saying someone will be in touch (that was yesterday). Today, I receive a bill for Gadget Rescue setup and ongoing support, which I have NOT agreed to as fees only apply if Gadget Rescue solve your gadget problem.

Recently, the dimmer for my Wofi floor light stopped working after the fuse blew (related, I suspect). I emailed Wofi who said I can get a spare part through a retailer. I went to two where I'd bought Wofi lights, but both had stopped dealing with Wofi. I emailed Wofi again, was asked for a code on the light, was told one would be sent to me FREE.  Which company gives good service? Duh!

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Support woes with Virgin Media and Gadget Rescue...

TLDR
0 Kudos
Skydancer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TSDR.

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

try narrowing down your gripe to just a couple of sentences. remove all the fluff (seriously commenting that OSX is free, yeah only free if you buy hardware so hardly free).
0 Kudos
Skydancer
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you have noting to say, say nothing. Time wasters.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skydancer,

Sorry to hear this issue has been affecting you.

What have the BBC said in regards to this issue? If you had an issue with your Virgin Media equipment I would expect you to have similar issues with other catch up / on demand services.

Have you also checked to see if we're experiencing any outages in regards to this service? That is also a possibility. Simply click this link and enter your postcode - virg.in/service

David_Bn

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi chenks I agree like War & Peace.Regards Micky
0 Kudos