cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call from Virgin "internet Security"

Stubbs_UK
Joining in

I've had two calls today from Virgin "Internet security"

The first tried to tell me I had a slow WiFi connection and as such I had to go and confirm my speed for him. Interestingly, he wanted my WiFi speed from my phone or tablet and not from my hard-wired laptop.

Second call tried to convince me there was a security issue, but I hung up before he could start his scripted diatribe.

I appreciate that these are highly likely to be fraudulent, but I have a couple of questions... 1) would Virgin ever call a customer to tell them there was an issue with their broadband,  and 2) is there any way to check that the caller is genuine? 

Any advice would be gratefully received by many I guess.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stubbs_UK wrote:

The first tried to tell me I had a slow WiFi connection and as such I had to go and confirm my speed for him. Interestingly, he wanted my WiFi speed from my phone or tablet and not from my hard-wired laptop.

Second call tried to convince me there was a security issue, but I hung up before he could start his scripted diatribe.

I appreciate that these are highly likely to be fraudulent, but I have a couple of questions... 1) would Virgin ever call a customer to tell them there was an issue with their broadband,  and 2) is there any way to check that the caller is genuine? 

Thanks

1 No Virgin Media do not make unsolicited 'technical' calls about broadband or other account issues.

2 Not really as the Call line ID details shown on the phone can easily be cloned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You are right, the call was a scam. In answer to your questions

1) VM do not make unsolicited tech support calls to customers, so if you get one out of the blue it's a scam. (The usual scam script might include 'hackers have accessed your connection' or 'VM has detected a fault with your broadband' or 'your broadband is running slow' or 'you are entitled to a refund' etc. etc.)

2) The only way you can be sure you are talking to VM is to make an outbound call to VM yourself.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stubbs_UK wrote:

Thanks

1 No Virgin Media do not make unsolicited 'technical' calls about broadband or other account issues.

2 Not really as the Call line ID details shown on the phone can easily be cloned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Got a call from an Indian sounding lady on a mobile number this morning.

"This is Virgin Media and there is a problem with your [internet line??]"

She's gonna have to do a lot better than that.

F-.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π