Menu
FlashPan
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Road Being Dug Up, Not VM - Need some advice?

Hello all,

I've just had a letter dated today 14 Aug from my local council that they intend to close/restrict access to my road from 27 Aug to 3 Sept. to dug up and relay the road. (Carriageway Resurfacing Works).

Am quite fuming as I am having my bathroom ripped out and a new one put in (quite expensive and extensive)  during this time, so in effect we will have no bathroom (and facilities) for about 2 weeks.  Because of this the Mrs and I decided to go on holiday during the major refit and then stay in local hotel when we get back for a few days.

Issue I see here though is that the plumber will not have access for his van, deliveries and removal of waster material etc.

Been trying to look at road regulations but all I am finding is about is mainly applying to do road works.  My very big question is.  Is there a legal time limit of notification my council should have given?

Also can I claim some sort of compensation?  If we cannot do the works while we are away we will need to book a local hotel for 2-3 weeks so we have a toilet, bath etc.

Could do with X Act Section Y info 

I know this is a VM forum but no idea were else to ask.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Road Being Dug Up, Not VM - Need some advice?

When our roads were done a year or so ago the access was limited to one way (one side at a time over 2 weeks) by using temp lights, which "rolled along the road every day, and turns into individual side streets only "closed" for an hour or so as the heavy stuff made its way past. All was left open after ~ 4-5pm.
Worth you checking with the council but may not be too bad.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
FlashPan
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for that.  My road is only one way so it will be complete cut off.  I live in London and also looked on TFLs website as well as the councils own roadworks site and nothing is listed.

I've emailed the contact on the letter but not holding out for a speedy response.  I gave  a run down in that email of the issues I face.

Am just trying to prepare for a type of response "we can do want we want" or just get fobbed off so am wanting to arm myself with rules/regs in advance.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can change one way streets to 2 way with traffic lights, its very unlikely that they would totally shut the street 

0 Kudos
FlashPan
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, they have stated they are totally closing the road and putting in diversions etc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I believe they still have a legal responsibility to permit resident access to their properties

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
FlashPan
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's not me I am worried about.  But the plumber being able to park his vehicle close by, deliveries of new bath, tiles and what not.  It is a very long stretch of a 1 way road with no side roads.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Unfortunately the plumber not being a resident will not have the same rights as you, the only people who can answer this is the local council, maybe they could issue a permit for him to load and unload, after all the contractors will need to bring equipment in and out.Regards Micky
0 Kudos