cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of BT line

blake007
On our wavelength

Been with virgin media for a lot of years but looking at other options. However I have a problem as I believe my BT line was removed on installation by the engineers of Virgin Media when it was known by another name Cabletel? Has anyone else encountered this? Any help or information would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Bit doubtful VM would have totally removed a BT line but might perhaps (in the past) have re-purposed the BT socket/extensions for the phone line.

How did you receive the BT line in the past (from a pole overhead or underground cables)? Are there any traces of BT junction boxes outside your home where you can see the line comes to the building from the street?

If you don't actually have a line anymore, then your new provider would install one. This would be done via Openreach (rather than BT) as Openreach do the installations for other providers you might be considering. There may be a cost to install a new line. It might depend on which provider you choose as to how much it would cost.

If you have BT Full Fibre available in your area, and chose that, you would get a totally new fibre optic installation to your home. The old telephone cable would be redundant. Other providers would also most likely provide your landline via their router as VM do as that is part of a national rollout.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

blake007
On our wavelength

I did have a BT line in operation via a cable from a telegraph pole outside my house but this disappeared after virgin media installation I believe. A small part of the cable is still on the outside wall. Only cables coming into house are VM.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As above it is the new providers responsibility to reinstate the incoming line, for which your new provider may charge a small fee. Most providers including Virgin subcontract installs to other companies (Openreach, Kelly Communications etc) who will do the work on their behalf.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cabletel was one of VM's many predecessor companies and part of its cabling may well have been replaced by a VM tech when you had the installation done.

If one day you move from VM and your BT line has gone, then inform your new ISP who will get someone from Openreach to sort it out.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection