Re: Returns packaging inadequate: A suggestion

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Andrew-G 

I hope you cleaned the hub with an oily rag before packing it up

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @Andrew-G 

Good lord, no!  There's a whole VM process dedicated to booking in CPE returns, as part of this there's a bloke who's job it is to unpack each hub, burnish it with a greasy rag, not quite removing the baked bean and nicotine stains (or blood, if it's being returned from London, Manchester or Nottingham). And then somebody else slings it in a new box and it gets shipped out to some lucky, lucky punter who hopefully won't spot that it's used goods, and equally hopefully won't sniff it or lick it*.

It'd be wrong to put his job at risk, and I'm appalled you'd even suggest this.  It's a solid, honest job wiping soiled hubs all day every day, and in these harsh times he'll be grateful that this a job VM haven't been able to offshore.  I have similar socially responsible thoughts about the jobs I'm protecting when I'm littering or graffiti-ing (much like Banksy does, I'm sure).  

* Of course there's some people probably do sniff or lick the hub they're sent, and enjoy the mix of odours/flavours from beans, cigs, plastic and electronics. And maybe dried blood.  As a man of the times, I'm fully accepting of such diverse behaviours, and if anybody reading this is thinking "I wonder what my Hub tastes like?" then I say go on, give it a try.  But not too much at once, because if it works for you, you'll want something left to go back to rather than leaving it clean as new on your first tasting.

It's probably too much to hope for "Pinky Sticky" status for that post, but we all know it deserves it.  How about it ModTeam? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Andrew-G wrote:

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @Andrew-G 

<snip>

It'd be wrong to put his job at risk, and I'm appalled you'd even suggest this.  It's a solid, honest job wiping soiled hubs all day every day, and in these harsh times he'll be grateful that this a job VM haven't been able to offshore.  I have similar socially responsible thoughts about the jobs I'm protecting when I'm littering or graffiti-ing (much like Banksy does, I'm sure).  

<snip>

And don't forget to include your hub's power supply because the other half of the recycling operative's job is to remove all power supplies before recycled hubs are sent out again to new customers. This could further put said operative's job at risk.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@goslow wrote:

And don't forget to include your hub's power supply because the other half of the recycling operative's job is to remove all power supplies before recycled hubs are sent out again to new customers. This could further put said operative's job at risk.

A good point, but fear not, it's all in the package.  Indeed, even the 3 metre coax cable went in the package, because these days it's easily possible to run out of bin space with two weekly collections* but by sending it back they can dispose of it.  I'd have included the wall box if I'd had time to remove it.  Mister Generous, that's me.

* Guardian readers: This is "bin poverty", perhaps you can start agitating about the matter?