Menu
juree
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Private road install - is it possible?

Cable cable every where, but not a drop to drink.

I live down a private road with 6 other houses in a relatively new build (2006). After being with telewest/virgin for over a decade I was very sad to leave, but I thought BT and FTTC would be enough. How I was wrong...

Fortunately, cable is in the area at the front of the road and submitted a Cable My Street request a few months ago (heard nothing back), so my question is there any way I can find out definitively if VM can be installed?

The private road and area is shared between the houses, and I'm positive there would be no wayleave issue, but the not knowing is killing me.

Is anyone aware of VM reviewing already cabled areas to get 98% coverage to 99%?

Does anyone have any experience with meeting VM halfway with costs to cable private areas?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Private road install - is it possible?

Hey juree

Welcome to the community and thanks for your Cable My Street post Smiley Happy

It's something we can ask the teams on your behalf so absolutely.

Just pop back to me with a PM to confirm:

• Your name and full address
  • Your preferred contact number

Once I have this I'll drop the teams an email to find out more for you.

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my profile link Karen_A
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Thanks again

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey juree

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

I've passed those details over to our teams for you and I'll be keeping an eye out for their reply for you. Once they do I'll pop back here with the update. They usually get back within a week maximum.

Take care Smiley Very Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
CarParkKing
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Depends on how far you are away from the road where the cabling is. I am in exactly the same situation but after six weeks of being totally messed about

I was told 66 metres of cable was more than Virgin Media could afford to install and they will not discuss me contributing to the cost. Perhaps you will have better luck though my neighbours certainly did.

0 Kudos
juree
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As the crow flies, I'm about 200ft/61m to the cab so I might be in the same boat.

However, I'm sure there are individual circumstances. Distance to cab, engineer on site, terrain etc etc.

Not loosing hope just yet! Especially as my bro-in-law just switched to VM today and is rubbing my nose in it!
0 Kudos
juree
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

I've not heard from the teams - have you? Could you give them a nudge?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi juree

Thanks for your patience!

I've been on annual leave for a week, hence the delay. Smiley Happy

The teams have come back and it's not something they would be able to commit to at present due to costs Smiley Sad

They've confirmed that the works they would need to do, even given the proximity to the existing network, would cost almost double the cost per home we budget for new connections.

This is before they add additional wayleave costs and re instatement of the private road on top.

I am so sorry that we are unable to support in this instance Smiley Sad

Thanks again for your posts and for coming here for support.

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
rheys99
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen

I am in a similar situation to Juree

A bizarre situation- half of my street is council owned and the other half private (Burnholme Ave, York: house numbers 29 and beyond are on the council owned half of the street and 1 to 27 are on private). My house is located on the edge of the council owned half of the street (number 27). Therefore, the house next to me has the cable and is able to connect to connect to fibre, but I can't. Is there any way of getting the cable extended to cover my house too? We are talking 10 meters. 

Thank you

Rachel

0 Kudos
mr_ian
Up to speed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Karen_A wrote:

Hi juree

The teams have come back and it's not something they would be able to commit to at present due to costs Smiley Sad

They've confirmed that the works they would need to do, even given the proximity to the existing network, would cost almost double the cost per home we budget for new connections.

People who live on a private road are all too well versed on the cost of maintaining it.  Why can you not ask for £x,000 to lay cable??  i.e. you pay the upper cost of laying cable and residents pay the rest???

That, or get everyone to commit to 3yrs of broadband/TV.  Private road = wealthy customers.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

virgin will not allow future/current customers to pay for cable to be laid in whole or part or pay towards any other work. i suspect the reason is due to legal/insurance reasons. with different customers owning part of virgins mainframe it would open up all kinds of legal issues. imagine that replicated across the country. what happens when someone leaves/dies. who would be responsible if the cable/other work caused someone's death as both customer and virgin owned the cable/work.

never going to happen, ever. move on.
0 Kudos