Menu
Highlighted
garno1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Patronising the customer

I have exactly 30 days remaning of my contract with Virgin. I had taken out the VIP bundle with the 350MB broadband.

I have reasons why we can no longer continue with the service and phoned up to cancel. The service rep started off ok until I turned down his offer of a discount. From that moment on his attitude was awful, he was talking to me in such a patronising way and constantly talking over me when I was trying to speak. 

Finally he told me that whoever I went with as my new home phone provider I would not be allowed to take my existing phone number with me unless I continued with my phone contract with virgin. He said as soon as he presses the button to cancel my service my phone number gets destroyed and can never be used again.

He then says that even though I have given the correct amount of notice that I will still get billed next month, 3 times I asked him to confirm that a few days after my contract ends you will still take a full months payment from me because I was so taken aback, 3 times he acknowleged it. He has told me I will never get another offer from virgin or anyone from my address. For the record I will never come back to Virgin even if it were free. There is a little irony and that is I would of probably of kept our broadband package had he asked, but now there really is no chance. 

0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Patronising the customer

There, there was the nasty man nasty to you?

As long as you start the number transfer process asap, and the VM phone service is still running when you new provider starts they can't stop you taking the number with you. If you don't like the idea of paying the bill cancel your direct debit, you won't have any missed payments as long as you pay before the date indicated on the bill. This way you can pay only what you owe and don't have to wait for them to refund the excess.  

0 Kudos
garno1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No he wasn't being nasty he was just being a dick.

As for not wanting to pay the bill I am more than happy to pay what I owe, however I draw the line at getting billed for future use of something I no longer have. The bill gets generated AFTER my contract ends so they have no excuse to take out money from my account for a tv  service I no longer have, try and remember they take the money out for services to be supplied the following month and not in arrears.

Whilst you may be able to afford paying in advance for things you will not get there are some people who can not. Virgin have no right to take out the additional payment due to the fact that my account will not go over to the next billing month and they have the correct number of days given to them for me to cancel my account. I do not owe Virgin anything and they certainly have done me no favours during my time with them yet as a final insult by them according to the nasty man they will take more payments from me than they are entitled to. Wez I should not have to cancel my direct debit as Virgin should not be taking additional payments in the first place.

LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi whatever you do don't cancel the direct debit, very bad advice, as it will cause you more problems than virgin & affect your credit rating, I would phone first thing in the morning 8am and select the thinking of leaving us route you should get through to someone in the UK who are usually more helpful and calmly and politely explain the issue.Regards Micky
garno1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Someone actually phoned me today from Virgin.
He said he is not going to insult me by trying to get a lower price for the package I had. He went on to ask me a few questions about the call I had and assured me that I will be able to keep my phone number when Sky take it over. He was very apologetic and said people like that rep should not be working in call centres, I fully agree. He is now passing the full recording over to the reps manager as a next step.
He was very professional and polite and said he regrets losing me as a customer but fully understands and agrees with my reasons. I told him that if the first rep had been like him they would of retained my custom for the telephone and broadband.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply I very much appreciate the advice you gave.
0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cancelling the DD won't cause any issues with your credit rating as long, as I said, you pay the bill by the date indicated on it.

Essentially your final bill should show any actual balance you are due to pay, if its incorrect you then have approx. 3 weeks to query this before the payment was due and get the amounts changed with VM. You should get around 3 weeks from the billing date to payment date.

0 Kudos