Menu
jollyed1967
Settling in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Outrageous new bill since moving house

I have been a loyal Virgin customer for many years, regularly paying ridiculous amounts of money and accepting the regular increases in costs. However today I was left outraged by the bill that has come up on my account.

In December I informed Virgin that I would be moving to the house opposite mine temporarily whilst having renovation work done to my existing house. I enquired about transferring my broadband and 3 boxes over to a house that was already set up for Virgin. I was informed there would be no charge ( I hope that transcripts of phone conversations are available) and we agreed a date when the engineer would arrive to install everything. he came on the 5th January, sorted everything out within 20 mins and we were, at that point, satisfied customers.

I currently pay £130 per month for our package, by direct debit. So you can imagine my outrage when I looked at my billing page today to discover that Virgin, in their infinite wisdom, have slapped on an extra £130, bringing my my direct debit payment for this month to £285.05. i am unfortunately unable to check out this bill as..Virgin.jpg I then did the usual calling up and waiting for 13 mins to speak to an agent, who informed me that this was payment 'in advance' ?? I asked to speak to a manager but lo and behold, noone is available. They're apparently getting back to me in the next 24 hours. 

I have checked previous posts and looked at terms and conditions and I can find nowhere where it states I need to pay this sort of fee for transferring our account. And it certainly wasn't communicated to me that I would have a new account! I am loking forward to hearing back from this manager, but I need to know if anyone else has been in this position and how, if at all, the issue was solved.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Outrageous new bill since moving house

call backs dont usually happen - they are offered as a polite way of ending the call from their side - maybe in this case they will ring [who knows?]

transferring the account [moving] has a £20 charge afaik and they then charge 2 months so the bill [sort of] makes sense - agents are not always good at explaining such things - economical with the facts you could say

best people to talk to - if you have not already are retentions - make sure its a UK agent

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
jollyed1967
Settling in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I still don't understand why they would charge 2 months. So therefore, I won't get a bill at all in April?

I don't have a virgin phone so can't call 150 but the other no you gave me-0345 454 1111- is the one I have always used and i opted for technical issues. The agent certainly wasn't and never has been a UK agent-are there even any call centres in the UK? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you are seen as a new customer with a new account and 2 months payment is as it is [will add afaik] - they then charge £20 for the transfer

there are no early termination fees if you are in contract and it does not start a new contract - again afaik

the number i gave should get you to a UK agent if you follow the thinking of leaving and technical issues - thats important otherwise you are likely to finish up offshore - that is never the best place to talk to

Tony
0 Kudos
jollyed1967
Settling in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A new customer would need to sign and agree to being a new customer. I am a CURRENT customer and this payment was not agreed by anyone but Virgin. I was assured that it would not cost me anything ( other than the £20 you correctly pointed out for the transfer ). Was she indeed lying?

How can I see transcripts of conversations?

And as for the number you suggested to call-I did exactly as you said but after 17 mins of waiting, costing me Christ knows what, I had to hang up. 

Virgin are a joke and I'm left more frustrated than ever.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i have to add afaik - moving the account sets up a new account as its a new address and accounts are locked to addresses so maybe my description of you being a 'new customer' is a poor choice of words but its a new account so their 2 month new account [better word] kicks in 

were they lying - thats a big question - they have to know exactly how things work for it to be a lie - so to be generous if they do not and thats possible they are mis-informing you - you have to decide

further as in many things if they do know all the facts they can assume [wrongly] you do also - thats far too common with people who have or think they have knowledge

so whats happened i believe is correct - not explained obviously - to confirm or complain you have to try UK retentions [again]

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi jollyed1967, 

Welcome to our community forums!

I am sorry for any confusion your first bill has caused and that the team have not been able to assist you. 

When you move property and take the services with you, we do have to create a new account as it is linked to the properties address. As it a new account your first bill will cover 2 months, this is because we charge in advance and have to catch you up on your first bill. The first bill will also include any remaining credits or charges from your previous account which would be transferred to the new account plus any one off move and transfer fees. 

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos