Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest - how do VM Techs choose who to help?

As per the title?   As this is the nattering place.......

On this and the other forums there are lots of great examples where "posters" get a very quick response and great advice and help from the VM techys working from home.  Conversely there are some threads and posts that go for days (or longer!) with no intervention or help.  Anyone got any ideas why that is?  I can't deduce a pattern, but wonder if its due to "vague" post titles, threads getting help from other community members, or summat else?

Anyone know?   I also wonder whether the VIP's can/could somehow "tag" such posts to alert a VM tech to have a look ?

I do think this is a great way for people to get rapid help in these difficult days.  Maybe it will continue some more when normality returns - bit like the good old (Swansea) days 😀

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Out of interest - how do VM Techs choose who to help?

@jbrennand wrote:

As per the title?   ..... there are some threads and posts that go for days (or longer!) with no intervention or help.  Anyone got any ideas why that is? 

That is something I have noticed. I have been assuming that they only pick up on threads where they feel they can offer some practical help or advice. Where they know the answer, in other words. 😊

That's not necessarily a bad thing and I would not criticise them for that.

My suggestion would be that if they see a thread has been overlooked and they don't know the answer  then they could flag it up to the Forum Team.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Both good guesses.

The new to the forum VM techs are field guys and gals. AFAIK most have access to the same systems they would have while working, so can look at network segments etc. So there is a limited pool of questions they will be able to help with.

That happily means that technical stuff gets answered quickly whereas "I NEED to upgrade to the latest Iphone during a pandemic cos mine is the wrong colour" languishes down the priority list to get mopped up by limited staff resources.

If the usual suspects (you know who you are) who arent VIP's see one that does NEED an answer or an engineer booking and hasnt been picked up by either a VIP or Tech, feel free to PM me details and Ill make sure they get picked up for you. I cant speak for other VIP's obviously but I look at posts since last time I logged in, with the unanswered ones taking priority, so if someone is already getting help from the community I dont always see it to pick it up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

the usual suspects (you know who you are) ................

Thank you kippies.

I think that bringing in the at home field techs was a very sensible idea and that like the majority of regular posters on here they are just trying to help where they can.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

same i view from this link https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message
and look at my last few pages of post history to see if any had a reply.

I suspect the new staff are using the forum much like us and not with the forum software the staff do so it may be why pm are being made as posts and why posts are getting missed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

...  feel free to PM me details and Ill make sure they get picked up for you

Cheers Kippies, nice gesture.. I 'll be certain not to overload you with any trivia... 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The posts that get answered quickly are usually the ones that can be resolved by sending an activation hit, or sending out CPE via quickstart. There are strict criteria at the moment regarding if we will send a tech round. We will still look at the signal levels etc on the system, but if we cant see anything wrong we wont be sending a tech, as we are trying to fix all faults externally where possible. If nothing looks wrong from a network perspective, its most likey a fault in the customers house, which can be dealt with at a later date.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

can you also do things on the forum that before required phone calls like Remote replacement?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
can you also do things on the forum that before required phone calls like Remote replacement?

Yes and no. If a customer needs a new remote for example and it gets picked up by a tech, we can raise a trouble call and the tech can just pop it through the letter box. Replacement hubs/stb's can be arranged, remotes always seem to be tricky to place a postal order for.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Never understood why that is when its the easiest thing to post out