cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On leaving VM

Declanworld
Fibre optic

I've been with NTL/Virgin for decades.  If I decide to leave, what connection/line would a new provider need?

5 REPLIES 5

unisoft
Well-informed

@Declanworld wrote:

I've been with NTL/Virgin for decades.  If I decide to leave, what connection/line would a new provider need?

depends what is available to your house?

• If Openreach (BT) it could be any of ADSL/FTTC/FTTP.
  • You may have ALTNETS that can come and install their own full fibre network to you.
  • You may have 5G in your area.

Potentially loads of options, if you say roughly the area, the people might be able to suggest whether ALTNETS are there, who they are and where to go to check by post code.

I'm not au fait with your scenario - I'm concerned that I'd have to pay for a phone line installation like you'd have to have had at one time if anyone other than VM wanted to supply.  Sorry about my explanation - hope it makes some sense.

@Declanworld wrote:

I'm not au fait with your scenario - I'm concerned that I'd have to pay for a phone line installation like you'd have to have had at one time if anyone other than VM wanted to supply.  Sorry about my explanation - hope it makes some sense.

again, it depends on what you already have installed at your house or what services are available?

If you have a BT dropwire from telegraph pole to your house and a master socket for BT inside, then you might be able to just reactivate the line by taking FTTC broadband from a supplier. If you can't get FTTC it might be ADSL only.

If your house can get FTTP - then an install would have to be done of fibre cable whether its BT or an ALTNET.

For what services delivered BT Openreach use this:

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

It will say what you can get from them.

Excellent - may thanks.

If you're after broadband (and maybe phone) then check out smaller suppliers like Aquiss, uno, IDNet, CIX, AAISP, Zen Internet - several have had free connection offers, so in my case I got a brand new FTTP connection installed for no charge, when leaving VM after over 25 years.

Even if you've got an Openreach copper line, it seems there comes a point where they deem it no longer active, and (apart from free connection offers) you'll pay a standard new connection charge even if it's using the old line.