cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old phone boxes

Vjp85
Tuning in

Hi. In my cottage, I have numerous old phone boxes on the walls. Will virgin have used these? Or can they be removed? Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Client62 wrote:

Are they the BT style phone sockets like these ?

Client62_0-1676410050348.png

That doesn't mean that they aren't Virgin Media telephone sockets.  I have two such boxes in my hall, one marked BT the other Telewest (now called Virgin Media).

To be sure which is which you need to trace the incoming line to the box.  Does it come from an Open Reach (BT) telegraph pole or from a VM external wall mounted box, usually brown or grey in colour?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Yes! 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Client62 wrote:

That doesn't mean that they aren't Virgin Media telephone sockets.  I have two such boxes in my hall, one marked BT the other Telewest (now called Virgin Media).

To be sure which is which you need to trace the incoming line to the box.  Does it come from an Open Reach (BT) telegraph pole or from a VM external wall mounted box, usually brown or grey in colour?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Be aware even phone lines that don't have an active service are often still powered at 48v from the exchange.

Our BT line was ceased in Feb 2018 but connect a phone and there is a dial tone on the line, dial 17070 & it will report the assigned number. 

I've no idea! Is there anyone I can get to come and look? Would it be a job an electrician would do?