cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom Q3 2022 Complaints Tables

Anonymous
Not applicable

Broadly, across the full quad play of broadband, land line, mobile, and pay TV, Virgin Media continues to perform poorly on the basis of proportional complaints received and are generally on a level with Talk Talk. Shell are rock bottom. Sky are consistently strong across all four.

Funnily enough the main driver of VM complaints is the standard of complaint handling. This will come as no surprise to anyone who has experienced the surreal, dizzying, and other worldly experience of the VM complaints journey. 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/telecoms-and-pay-tv-compl...

5 REPLIES 5

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

This has been going on for years, and the conclusion is that VM's directors led by Mike Fries (chairman) and Lutz Schüler (CEO) are not too bothered.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Portery
Fibre optic

Yet if you look at the past complaints vm are improving but also vm introduced a resolve team in that quarter so if there is no improvement in the next quarter then it would be disappointing.  Vm in the background are taking big strides to help the overall experience. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's a fair assumption that VM/Liberty Global directors don't have customer service/complaints metrics in their bonus calculations. Happy to be proved wrong but won't hold my breath. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Portery wrote:

Yet if you look at the past complaints vm are improving but also vm introduced a resolve team in that quarter so if there is no improvement in the next quarter then it would be disappointing.  Vm in the background are taking big strides to help the overall experience. 

Plenty might be happening in the background but not too much sign, as yet, of it making its way to the foreground of the customer experience (based on the same old regular topic subjects that keep cropping up on here at least).

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Portery wrote:

Any idea of improvement is by taking a very selective (and thus very-VM) approach where Q1 2021 is your start year.  Back in 2013-16, VM managed about 7.5 complaints per quarter per 100k customers.  Since then the VM results have shown trend increase, and the current level of 18 per Q per 100k is bang on the rising trend.  The fact that Q1 2021 was especially bad doesn't mitigate or anull the trend.  In fact, if you want, the data's available, work out what a ten year trend line is for VM complaints - I've just done that, and whether the start period is 2010, 2013, 2016, or 2019 a simple linear trendline is sloping upwards meaning complaints performance is getting worse.

Big strides to help improve the experience?  In your dreams, matey.  Ignoring the trend, these latest Ofcom numbers show VM complaints some 60% above the industry average, but that average is materially affected by VM themselves.  Take VM out and I'd hazard the other players average would be such that VM would be approaching 80% above.  Against Sky (who I know full well are considerably less than perfect), VM had four and a half times as many complaints, and BT/EE have managed to go from considerably worse than VM to considerably better with a decade of modest but continuous improvement.

Read the complaints that repeatedly crop up here, and on Trustpilot.  Too often VM make speaking to a competent human difficult or impossible.  The company take no ownership of faults or problems.  The online account management is primitive, the phone menus unhelpful, the offshore staff poorly trained and disinterested, the installations process is broken, the complaint handling a shambles, there have been regular howls of protest over Netflix implementation problems for nigh on a year now, setup of new or renegotiated contracts is regularly faulty, etc etc  And now VM have baked in massive contractual price rises as well.