cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure how many have recently left Virgin

Petro1head
Tuning in

After 2 hours on the phone to Virgin reps around the world, yep it was a world tour, UK, Ireland, India, Philippines, Mauritius and finally back to Ireland just to cancel my service.  I had just come out of contract paying £47 per month for their 300Mb package with phone and the new price was £63 per month. Each time they tried and failed to offer a better deal, in fact some of the deals were worse that if I was a new customer.

I have heard it said that if you want a great deal you need to be brave and cancel your account.  This was not my objective as as soon as I was unable to get a good deal I left and signed up with Firbreconnect.

Guess what, a couple days later I get a personal letter from Virgin offering their 500Mb package for £30 per month!

I found this insulting as I have been with Virgin for 17 years and if they had wanted to keep me they should have offered that deal while I was on the phone, NOT after I had cancelled.

10 REPLIES 10

Oyster
Up to speed

I thought this practice was banned some time ago and new regulations stated it was sharp practice to offer better deals to new customers only. I'm probably wrong though

infidel
Dialled in

I dread having to phone Virgin regarding end off contract. This year was a bit better though and was offered a better deal than I had. I think it would be better for all VM customers not to go through this process of having to speak to the VM retentions department threatening to leave VM its not a dignified way of doing business.    

Gazzamius
On our wavelength

Hey Infidel.  I hear what you say, BUT.  I have gotten to the stage where I enjoy the haggling now. for the past 3 years I have phoned virgin and I always seem to get through to a scottish gentlemen at the call centre. and have a good laugh chatting about leaving virgin and always ending up with a better deal than last time. at the moment I have the 500MB setup for £34 PM for 18 months. that ends in September. and the ritual shall begin again. lol ... I actually think they enjoy the battle.  because if they don't agree with abette deal I will go elsewhere.  there are so mnay that do broadband only dela s and no landline rental.    regards   Gaz

Agree in part.. I have had the Scottish guy a few times he is OK. I would still like the same system off changing providers like all the other broadband providers do when you see a good deal you just let them do all the work for you. with no notice or hassle. I have been with Virgin /NTL for 38 Years and still never come up with a better service yet but I am still looking very hard as their service standards are dropping and not meeting up to my expectations of a broadband/ TV and landline provider.   

Dragon63
On our wavelength

I'm waiting for this to happen.  I had to cancel before I was offered the same price and I've been with them 33 YEARS (when it was Nynex)

Brava210
Fibre optic

We have been with them for 33 years and were offered nothing when our contract was up so we left and went with "3" 5G BB

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

wolvie
On our wavelength

To me Virgin used to be a good company, with reliable services.  This is no longer the case, and the reliability is getting worse!  My speeds right now are jumping from 1Mbps to my 277Mbps, and each time I do a speed test, this can be either under the 100 range, under the 200 range, or just above 200Mbps.  The issue I have is not one person can tell me what is going on.

I was given the story of there 'MIGHT' be maintenance - well surely they should know!?

Also, with regards to deals.  They refuse to remove the TV package as I don't watch TV any more, but I get the 250mb line, standard tv and phone, for £58.  I read others getting a better deal for less money.

I would rather not leave Virgin Media, and have been with them since the blueyonder days, but they are making it extremely hard for me to stay with them.  Some sort of consistency in their prices and customer service would be nice.  Not to mention their connectivity to the internet!!

mildenhall
Rising star

My contract is up next month and I phoned them as per normal each year. The best deal that they would offer me is £2 more than I'm currently on. I may as well stay on my current contract. I'm disappointed, 

DerbyGig
On our wavelength

My contracts been up since April (Derbyshire), currently waiting for a new provider to release a fibre service which they have offered at £40 per month 900 up and 900down. I have spoken to VM on a number of occasions and i just keep getting Volt shoved down my throat, i dont want a sim or mobile just want a better BB deal for 1gb fibre. So now with the rolling contract just a months notice i can finally move on to another provider. Sad as I have also been with VM for 25 years!