Menu
Highlighted
HantsHog18
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New Housing Estate = No Cable!

Hello

I will be moving to a new housing estate shortly, and according to the new postcode, there is no broadband or cable available at all.

I'm able to keep running my broadband/phone package at my present address for a while (living with a relative) but I really need access to cable if at all possible at the new address.

How do I go about requesting cable installation if that is an option? If not, I have no idea how I'm going to cope with snail-pace broadband. I rely on e-mail and internet as I'm deaf and it's the easiest way to contact people.

Many thanks for your help x

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Housing Estate = No Cable!

If VM cabling infrastructure hasn't been installed by the developer then you are going to be out of luck. VM will not install on new estates where the roads have yet to be adopted by the local authority and in any event their expansion program is fully committed until 2020.  Unlike BT Openreach VM have no legal obligation to install their cabling anywhere new - they have no universal service obligation.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If nothing is showing for any broadband it may be that the estate hasn't been entered to the system, you could check with the developer what will be available. 

0 Kudos
HantsHog18
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks dannylau

I'll see if the developers can shed some light on it.

You would have thought they would install cable along the street before they start any landscaping or pavements wouldn't you?! They must be planning some installations I would hope!

0 Kudos
chenks
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if the developers were going to do it, it would have been done long before the houses were finished and populated.
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There would be no point in cabling an estate if the VM backbone doesn't reach into the local area.

Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Morning HantsHog18, welcome to our forums and thank you for your post. 

Sorry to hear we don't currently service you're new house. 

We're unable to service all properties sadly. However, if you list your interest here we can look in to the possibility of servicing your new house. Your address will stay on file for 6 months and we'll be back in contact if we get any other information. 

If we advise that your new home can have service we can then arrange installation. 

We have our accessibility link here so you can find the best contact method for you. However, we'll be happy to assist anyway we can over the forums. 

Thank you. 

Jen Y 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos