cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Lottery Website Access

SVS
On our wavelength

Over the past few days I  can only get text pages on National Lottery so unable to log in.  Have checked with people in other areas who say they have no problems, so it must be something to do with Virgin.  Is anyone else having this problem?   I don't have a problem with any other websites.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the other person's out of date thread, you state:

Other gambling sites are blocked and always have been.   Tried other browsers but no use.  This is definitely a Virgin problem.   My son tried  using my wifi and could not get access, but when he used his phone data no problem.

If you go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ does it come up with "ISP: Virgin Media" and a UK location?  Because National Lottery uses IP address for location verification.

"Our location software recognises Internet Protocol addresses (IP addresses) that are used by UK-based Internet Service Providers (ISPs). If your ISP has not registered your IP address as being situated in the UK or Isle of Man, we must assume that you are located outside this region.

Please contact your ISP and ask them to update the registration of your IP address (it may take a few weeks for the changes to take effect).

This issue could also be caused by the use of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) by yourself or other members of your household.

You may also experience problems accessing your account if you are using a device at work which routes its internet traffic through servers based outside of the UK or Isle of Man."

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

MissPasko
Super solver

Have you tried clearing the browser of cache/cookies?  Using a different browser? Using incognito mode?  If so, is it the same result?  What devices/browsers are you using?

In the other person's out of date thread, you state:

Other gambling sites are blocked and always have been.   Tried other browsers but no use.  This is definitely a Virgin problem.   My son tried  using my wifi and could not get access, but when he used his phone data no problem.

If you go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ does it come up with "ISP: Virgin Media" and a UK location?  Because National Lottery uses IP address for location verification.

"Our location software recognises Internet Protocol addresses (IP addresses) that are used by UK-based Internet Service Providers (ISPs). If your ISP has not registered your IP address as being situated in the UK or Isle of Man, we must assume that you are located outside this region.

Please contact your ISP and ask them to update the registration of your IP address (it may take a few weeks for the changes to take effect).

This issue could also be caused by the use of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) by yourself or other members of your household.

You may also experience problems accessing your account if you are using a device at work which routes its internet traffic through servers based outside of the UK or Isle of Man."

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked in your account that "childsafe" is not activated on your account (look in "my Apps").
If so, it will limit access to gambling/adult websites etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Grindingjack
Joining in

Just to let you know I use Virgin too and have no problem to log into National Lottery. So maybe it's a different reason.

All online lotteries for US players can be found on gamblinghero.com including ratings and reviews.

jonba
Joining in

did you ever solve this, I have the exact same issue, 15 devices all give the website in text, but using my Vodafone account they work fine.

its not blocked on child safe

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the post Jonba.

If the child safe isn't active on the account can you please confirm if you've tried this on an alternative web browser or device? 

Thanks, Emily.

I am having the same issue. National-lottery and reddit are two websites that I cannot access through virgin media. Child safe is off, virus safe is off, router has been rebooted, router firewall is off. I switch over to talktalk or mobile phone tethering to get access. It is a virgin media problem, either on thje virgin router or somewhere upstream.

Can a technician please take note of this and fix it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@akis_tzortzis wrote:

I am having the same issue. National-lottery and reddit are two websites that I cannot access through virgin media. Child safe is off, virus safe is off, router has been rebooted, router firewall is off. I switch over to talktalk or mobile phone tethering to get access. It is a virgin media problem, either on thje virgin router or somewhere upstream.

Can a technician please take note of this and fix it?

Technically it's your problem as your IP address may have been flagged.

You check it here:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check 

Solution:

Nothing to do with blocked IP addresses - you need to add the site to the always allowed section on the websafe settings.

The issue is that the national lottery uses two dns names that need to be added to the always allowed.

the obvious one https://www.national-lottery.co.uk

and the not obvious one - https://www.cdn-national-lottery.co.uk 

CDN is the amazon cloud distribution network that serves up all the images - which is why you can get text only views of the site 

Cheers

Phil