Menu
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My debit card was stolen

Today my debit card was stolen by two men, first time I've had this happen to me and it's a cautionary tale.

I went to the ATM outside a Natwest bank, put my card in, entered my PIN and was about to select the amount required when a man appeared on my right, put his hand on the machine, said it didn't work and left. This looked a bit odd and I tried to cancel but my card didn't come out. I asked the man behind me but he said he was just a customer and that I should go into the bank to report a lost card. As I was about to enter the bank another man appeared and said that I'd been scammed like him, we went in and talked to a bank employee who said I should report the loss.

As I was waiting in the phone queue I logged into my smile account on my mobile phone and saw three withdrawals for £100, £100 and £50. The bank employee confirmed that my card was not in the machine. Eventually I got through to my bank who blocked the card. I was told that an attempt to use my card at JD Sport for £145 failed as payment had been declined. My £250 was refunded today as promised, so pleased to have got off without loss.

I think the theft worked like this. One man shoulder-surfed me and noted my PIN (as I hadn't covered it) and the other distracted me whilst placing his hand over the card reader. The shoulder-surfer pressed the Cancel key which caused the card to come out and this was removed by the man who had his hand over the reader. This was so well done that it's clear that they had a lot of practice. They went to another bank across the road to withdraw the maximum amount of cash and attempted to use it a a retailer.

So, the big lesson is to always cover your PIN entry and I should also have gone into the bank where it would probably have been safer to use a machine.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: My debit card was stolen

It boils my blood reading things like this. You have to be so careful. If they tried to use the card in JD, surely they're on camera? Unless they tried to purchase things online.

Glad to hear you got your money back!

Dan_M
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As you say , a cautionary tale.

By coincidence was talking to a guy that runs an electrical shop today and he was saying he'd rather have his customers pay by card than cash. His days of discounting for cash are gone. Too risky. Fake notes can be an issue, and if he takes a couple of G's for a monster 4K TV he cant get to the bank quick enough. Nowt to stop the guy who bought it sending his mate in to  stick a gun in your face 5 minutes after he's give you a wedge of cash.

TBF If its a lean month I work in cash till payday, its still more tactile and you see the money going. But thats for smaller items. Wouldn't even THINK of not using a card for larger purchases, I also try to use cashback if I need physical cash. ATM's are getting risky these days. Two down the road from me had scimmers attached and it was WEEKS before anyone noticed....

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Dan_M wrote:
It boils my blood reading things like this. You have to be so careful. If they tried to use the card in JD, surely they're on camera? Unless they tried to purchase things online.

JD's clientele are mostly baseball capped and impossible to identify. Grey top grey bottoms and black cap. Saves time when you get put away. Again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Probably not even worth it to chase them. That's the worst bit.

Dan_M
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Dan_M wrote:

I doubt whether it would be online as I'd think that even if the payment had been accepted it would then have been chargebacked after the card was reported as stolen, so the goods would not have been shipped.

--
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

By coincidence was talking to a guy that runs an electrical shop today and he was saying he'd rather have his customers pay by card than cash. His days of discounting for cash are gone. Too risky. Fake notes can be an issue, and if he takes a couple of G's for a monster 4K TV he cant get to the bank quick enough. Nowt to stop the guy who bought it sending his mate in to  stick a gun in your face 5 minutes after he's give you a wedge of cash.

how's that any safer? someone buys a TV with cloned/stolen card. the shop still loses out regardless.
the owner of the cloned card gets protection by getting the money back, but the shop doesn't get the TV back, and they don't get the money either?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

@Kippies wrote:

how's that any safer? someone buys a TV with cloned/stolen card. the shop still loses out regardless.
the owner of the cloned card gets protection by getting the money back, but the shop doesn't get the TV back, and they don't get the money either?

Because in a card present transaction verified by PIN and authorised in real time, the retailer gets their money anyway*. Its the credit/debit card companies loss.

*Mostly. Subject to TOS of the terminal used and the card company.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I try to always use cards or preferably Apple Pay as it’s super secure and not cash.  Started with a Diners Club card in 1970 and never looked back

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

An update: I received my replacement debit card today only two days after reporting the theft, so well done smile. I've been with smile (the internet arm of Co-operative bank for 20 years and soon after its launch, making me one of their first customers) and I'm pleased with how they handled my case.

I've done a bit of research and I've found that fraud and theft losses are costing banks and victims a shocking £1.2bn a year in this country.

--