cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a VM Street Cabinet

cazpac
Joining in

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to start the investigation into getting a street cabinet moved?  

It's right outside my house where I'd like to drop the curb and widen my drive.  Where do I start? Who do I contact? Can I get a quote?  I do know it's definitely a Virgin cabinet.

Any suggestions gratefully received.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The procedure is to ask for an assessment report on the cabinet move which costs £240. This is not refundable. In the unlikely event that the report says that VM is willing do do the move (for a lot of money) then you can decide what to do.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's very difficult to get a cabinet moved and very very expensive, you are probably looking at 20k, you have to ask virgin to do a survey (they will charge you for this) and they will give you a quote or say it is impossible to do. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your swift response.  I feared it would be expensive.  Do you know who or how I ask Virgin to even do a survey?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@cazpac wrote:

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to start the investigation into getting a street cabinet moved?  

<snip>

Often asked on here and the general outline is to pay for a survey from VM (£250-ish is often quoted) and then VM produce a quote for you if they are willing/able to do the work.

However, just by way of an example, have a look at this 'dropped kerb' topic below (no cabinet move, just the kerb dropping) for an idea of costs just for that and some of the issues in involving VM in the process

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/VM-manhole-cover-in-new-drop-kerb/t...

5-figure sums are regularly mentioned for such cabinet work but I don't recall anyone ever feeding back to the forum with actual figures for a cabinet move quote. Based on the above link though, the 5-figure sums mentioned seem quite feasible.

Oh Dear.

Thank you for the link to that sorry saga.  As you say, that was just a manhole cover and not an entire cabinet which is looking increasingly cost prohibitive.  Some useful contact suggestions to start with though, thank you.

they will not.
They have a duty of care to customers. Moving something like a cabinet will take down customers of a extended period of time.

So they will go though the motions and just say no.
Why would they want to do work that will knock 100's of customers offline for hours or days.

And the compensation to all those customers, some of which may be business.  If that cab has a system amp or even worse a first out cab it could take anywhere up to 60 cabinets offline each with an average of 50 customers each.  I think compensation works out to around £5 a day

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Thank you.  That's really helpful, it gives me somewhere to start and It's useful to know what other people have experienced.  I'll follow it up, I just want to understand what my options are.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

General rule of thumb with issues like this is as follows:

Virgins kit lies in a service strip on which they have had permission from a local authority to locate it. This will usually be the optimum position to feed all the properties it has to serve in the street.

Generally these will not be moved except on Health & Safety grounds. I have seen several cabs end up in peoples gardens after a property redevelopment.

Lastly if you are buying a property it’s pretty obvious there are visible access issues at the time of purchase, the onus is on you as to whether it is the right property to buy.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The procedure is to ask for an assessment report on the cabinet move which costs £240. This is not refundable. In the unlikely event that the report says that VM is willing do do the move (for a lot of money) then you can decide what to do.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection