cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move router to another room

vindi62
Dialled in

Hi, has anybody ever had to pay to have their Virgin Router moved into another room, and how much did it cost?  I would like to move mine to another room, as I no longer use that one, except for a storage.  I did phone Virgin, and the lady said it would cost £99, is this right?  All I would need is a new cable fitted into another room, I could transfer everything else myself, once everything is organised.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You are correct, £99 is the price to do this work

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/priceguides

but I believe VM are not taking on this kind of task at the moment until restrictions are eased further

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

As further information you are not allowed to modify any Virginmedia cable yourself as stated in the terms and conditions this type relocation has only to be done by virginmedia I am afraid.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
£99 is a pretty good cost for a home visit and work to be completed.

What would an electrician cost to come and change a socket. Oe run a new cable? about the same i would guess.

So lets assume your job takes the engineer 2 hours (or has to allow 2 hours) that they can't book in other jobs

Lets then assume the engineer is on Minimum wage (he will not be)

so thats 8.91*2=17.82 for the engineers time
lets say we allow 1 hour travel to and from the job. thats another 8.91 so total so far £26.73

26.72 Engineers time
5.00 cost of cable
10 cost towards the cost of the tools used
10 cost towards fual to get to the job and back
Public liability insurace.
Training
Van insurance
cost of the van and upkeep

this all has to be accounted for.

£99 is pretty fair

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You are correct, £99 is the price to do this work

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/priceguides

but I believe VM are not taking on this kind of task at the moment until restrictions are eased further

Goslow, thank you for your information. I thought it was a bit steep for just putting in a new cable, anyway, I could have easily moved everything else myself. Thanks again.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

As further information you are not allowed to modify any Virginmedia cable yourself as stated in the terms and conditions this type relocation has only to be done by virginmedia I am afraid.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
£99 is a pretty good cost for a home visit and work to be completed.

What would an electrician cost to come and change a socket. Oe run a new cable? about the same i would guess.

So lets assume your job takes the engineer 2 hours (or has to allow 2 hours) that they can't book in other jobs

Lets then assume the engineer is on Minimum wage (he will not be)

so thats 8.91*2=17.82 for the engineers time
lets say we allow 1 hour travel to and from the job. thats another 8.91 so total so far £26.73

26.72 Engineers time
5.00 cost of cable
10 cost towards the cost of the tools used
10 cost towards fual to get to the job and back
Public liability insurace.
Training
Van insurance
cost of the van and upkeep

this all has to be accounted for.

£99 is pretty fair