Menu
cyberbob
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Maybe time to leave ?

So I have been with Virgin since it began its life as NTL World and have been loyal since the beginning, my contract has just ended and I'm now in the 30 day rolling period.

Up to now I have always been able to haggle some sort of deal but due to my financial circumstances changing I need to be more stringent when it comes to overpaying for things.

I have just got of the phone with the retention's team at Virgin and have given my 30 days notice as they were unable to offer me a deal that I was happy to accept, they gave me the usual spiel about "this is the best we can offer" and when I mentioned that I thought it was a shame that new customers get better deals than existing ones and that loyalty literally counts for zero the lady on the phone disagreed and said that wasn't the case, really ?!?!?! 

I currently have 100 MB broadband and unlimited phone, the best they could offer me was £47 p/mth now I know this is not exactly a terrible price but when you consider that atm as a new customer you can get the same phone package and 200 MB for £39.99 over 12 months it soon puts things in to perspective. 

Why as a customer that has been with them for a very long time should I pay £7 more a month for half the broadband speed that is given to someone that has just joined ????

I realise its all about business models etc but it still really pi***s me off.

I think I will let my contract expire and then just re-sign back up with my partners name as she would technically be a new customer 🙂 

Is this pretty much the same as everyone else is experiencing ?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Maybe time to leave ?

you would have got a new customer deal when you joined though.
and the new customer price you mentioned is only for the first 12 months, after that it reverts to the full price.

£47pm for what you get is about the normal price really. if you compare that price to what you get with BT for that price, you'll see that the price far from being a terrible price.
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

With Virgin plus most other Broardband providers, you need to forget about new customer prices - unless your prepared to leave and swap providers regularly.

For your offer given, I see a new customer would be paying £57 after 12 months for 100MB and Talk Anytime, so they have offered you £10 take it or leave it discount for being loyal

Screenshot_20190916-105821.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
wez
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

And you'll be without services for around at least a day, and have to pay £35 to set up the new account.

Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you're tired of the crummy "bait and switch" business models of all the large ISPs, consider going with a smaller Openreach-based ISP.  Obviously you're limited to whatever speed Openreach can deliver, but if you select wisely you'll get better customer support, and a price that (on average) is competitive.  You may want to investigate Zen Internet's lifetime price guarantee.  I'm not sure they can really hold that for than five years, but it beats VM, Sky, Plusnet, et al's approach of a spanking introductory deal that doubles in price after a year or eighteen months.

Other smaller ISP's to consider include IDNet, uno, Aquiss and AAISP.  AAISP have the best reputation for service, but their offer is structured more like a small business one, so may not appeal to all.

chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

AAISP have the best reputation for service, but their offer is structured more like a small business one, so may not appeal to all.

and the owner is a bit of a *bleep* apparently

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you move to a DSL provider and don't have a BT phone line you'll probably have to pay to get one installed.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
cyberbob
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for all of the input, it helps to get other peoples perspectives.

So I gave my 30 days notice to leave VM and today their retention's department rang and offered me the same package I am already receiving but instead of £47 p/mth they have given it to me for £35 p/mth for 18 mths with a guarantee of no price rises being added in that time, all in all I am very happy with the outcome 🙂

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

hah... "guarantee" you say? have you read the small print?
0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

@Andruser wrote:

AAISP have the best reputation for service, but their offer is structured more like a small business one, so may not appeal to all.

and the owner is a bit of a *bleep* apparently

The owner is certainly a character but, somewhat unusually in the business world, has a strong sense of ethics and being fair to the customer.  AAISP actually reduced their prices recently and I can't quite imagine VM ever doing that.  Anyone who's open to paying a little more than that charged by the mass-market ISPs in exchange for first-rate customer service and expert techical support by people who understand networking could do a lot worse than look at AAISP.

0 Kudos