cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loyal customers?

Rob29E
Joining in

Is it just me? I have been with Virgin Media for so long it was Telewest when I joined.

I am currently out of contract & paying £74.45, soon to be increased by £4.25.

On contacting Retentions, I asked why I could not sign up for a 18month contract on 'Bigger Bundle for £45. The guy I spoke with, after going thru 20 questions, said that was not possible, said only for new customers....what price loyalty I asked....silence

He stated he could do nothing, I quote him ' I have used my allowance for the day'  Try tomorrow was his only advice! 

I asked why...he had no answers to sensible questions about customer retention & long term loyalty. He tried to say offers did not include line rental.... his knowledge seemed very vague. 

I surely, can't be the only loyal customer who feels totally let by Virgin Media attitude.

As a customer out of contract, why o why can't I get the good deals?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have had an account since the days of ntl: and the nthellworld web site. Whenever my lock-in ends, I phone customer services and choose the "Thinking of Leaving Virgin Media" option. I talk to the CS agent, explain my feelings about cost and manage to get a rolling £12pm discount. OK it's not the bigger discount that new customers get, but it's better than a kick up the backside. 😀

I find it is vital to select the "Thinking of Leaving Virgin Media" as you get the more able CS agent. If that doesn't work, call again but this time don't press any keys when asked to (as some old non-DTMF phones may still be in operation) and wait for a CS agent - again they seem to be more capable.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Since VM make a loss on new customer deals they're in no hurry to offer them to existing customers.  A skilled player of the retentions game can get new customer pricing, but only by real brinksmanship - essentially cancelling, and hoping (without any guarantee!) that VM make an outbound retention call.  Of course, if you miss the call or no call is made, then you're "out".  When a customer phones up, seeking a discount and then starts talking about fairness and loyalty, the agent knows the customer has got no negotiating position, and they'll be sitting there bored, perhaps eyeing up attractive colleagues, wondering what's for lunch in the canteen, reading the tabloid newspaper on the desk, thinking how quickly they can end the call and start a bonus-earning retention call with somebody who's prepared for the call, or contemplating where they can land a job with a bigger bonus*.  I'd say give it a few days, phone and try again, but do your homework, and make sure you know what incoming price rises competitors are planning, otherwise a skilled retentions agent will be able to yank the rug from under your calculations at the last minute.

As for "loyalty".....this is a fiction.  You stayed (like I have) with VM for 25 odd years because it was the best balance of speed, bundle price that was on offer., and haggled for money off if it didn't suit us.   At no time did either of us think "I'll bet the CEO's kids school fees have gone up, and Branson's wine cellar is probably very depleted - I known I can get better deals elsewhere, but I'll stay with VM because they've always been there for me".  Or did you?  If I could get Openreach FTTP from somebody with good customer service, and a keener price I'd leave as soon as my VM discount and lock-in expires.  Wouldn't you? 

This is all about a commercially offered contract in a competitive market - we all tolerate the deal and accept it, or we phone and haggle, and if we don't like the deal we find another ISP.   Complaining that it isn't fair, and that you've been a loyal customer is merely applying emotion to a contractual relationship with a large, faceless corporation.  

* At any rate, these are the things I'd be doing in that situation.  If the forum staff want to add any other possibilities then go for it.

I have had an account since the days of ntl: and the nthellworld web site. Whenever my lock-in ends, I phone customer services and choose the "Thinking of Leaving Virgin Media" option. I talk to the CS agent, explain my feelings about cost and manage to get a rolling £12pm discount. OK it's not the bigger discount that new customers get, but it's better than a kick up the backside. 😀

I find it is vital to select the "Thinking of Leaving Virgin Media" as you get the more able CS agent. If that doesn't work, call again but this time don't press any keys when asked to (as some old non-DTMF phones may still be in operation) and wait for a CS agent - again they seem to be more capable.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the world of capitalism there is no such thing as loyalty. The job of the individual is to produce value for their owner and to consume as much as possible to create profit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Rob29E 

Having worked in retentions for other companies I can only endorse @Andrew-G 's comments, especially "eyeing up attractive colleagues".

Seriously though, deals change from day to day. Certain criteria need to be reached by customers/agents alike before certain price points can be offered.

It's very,very unusual to be able to obtain a new customer price. 

The agents job is to retain customers at a price that is deemed suitable by both parties.

Although agents have "save" targets to achieve, they are also monitored on the discounts given, not just the save rates, and if the discounts are too high, or if they don't achieve those targets then they given more training, more call handling techniques and if no better then either their role is changed or they may even have to leave the company. They want to help you stay with VM for this reason, plus a possible financial bonus, and a sense of self satisfaction for  a job well done.

The agents role can also be hindered by Managers or other supervisory staff who will at times have to feed down the line to agents the current "save" rates and current discounts available.

Although not words you wanted to hear, it sounds like the agent that suggested you call back tomorrow was trying to help both you and himself by suggesting there may be a better deal available at a later time, plus they managed to "save" the cancellation (although they wouldn't be rewarded as they didn't manage to sign you up to a new contract)

His knowledge did seem vague regarding line rental because as most people are aware larger discounts are offered for more services taken.

What price loyalty has been asked many times of all companies, the bottom line is overall profit for all companies.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

My contract runs out dec 2022. I dont want tv, but it costs 240 to end contract. I have gone ahead. It may sound like madness but like I explained to virgin, £69 x 11= 759.

I pay up 240 and go to 100mb broadband with phone for 20 for 5 mths.. So over 13 mths I pay a total of364. 759 minus 368 = . Even paying 240 means ive saved £155.00

@steveclifford54 no not madness at all, sounds like a perfectly rational decision to make based on the circumstances.