cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning- everything blown up - virgin washes their hands

Gillyathome
Up to speed

Can anybody help me with a contact number / email address for the zero harm division ?

the chief exec's office is blaming "god" for lightning blowing up my TV and Computer...

does "god" only pick on 12 virgin customers at the same time ?

I've never had such a poor experience from any customer care team. been bounced

from head office to cisas, pointless waste of time.... they can't help.

457 REPLIES 457

@Gillyathome wrote:

Hello new sheriffs in town.

Why would you want to stop a conversation, just because you don’t like it ?

You wouldn’t want to stop free speech – would you ?

This forum has been a valuable source of help. A big thank you to everybody that’s

Stepped up to help me. You know who you are.. Thank you all.

If you don’t like reading something, you could always try NOT reading it.

To enlighten you, my caseworker at the Citizens Advice regularly checks this thread,

Trading Standards are also reading.

It’s become an invaluable way of me updating them, without the need to take anymore

days off work.

Try queuing outside the CAB for a raffle ticket with a time slot on.

Que’s start from 8am. i have, and I can’t think of finer way to spend a day off work.

I think you missed the bit where Kath_K who works for virgin, page 3 message 27

Gilly.

....ok - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Post reported to Mods - stop spamming these forums with your garbage, NOBODY CARES ANYMORE..............

◔_◔

Hi

While as Kath_F stated as this is with CiSAS, we can't really comment, we're not going to deny the author the opportunity to post their experience.

It is going to be moved from the current board as it is not an active support issue, but the original links (if shared) will still work.

Best wishes,

Mod Team

Royalman
On our wavelength

This is my input.

All opinions expressed below are my own and should not be relied upon when making any decisions.

I am interested in reading about how this all turns out. Surely anyone who even just occasionally reads this Forum will know Gilly's story. If you are not interested it takes less than 1 second to ignore it. What's the big thing about locking the thread?
As it happens I think Gilly is mistaken. I am an Electronics Engineer by training and I know enough to know that nothing can protect you from a massive direct lightening strike. So much energy is released in such a short time a direct strike will destroy anything. It is for this reason people take out House and Home contents insurance that normally covers such things. If you choose not to take out that insurance then you do so at your own risk.

Perhaps Gilly thinks if pushed hard enough VM will just pay up to end the issue. I suspect they won't. And if they go to Court VM will be able to find expert witnesses to back up their "not liable" position. I am not an expert in Consumer Law. But I have read up about it and I follow consumer law articles and broadcasts in the media with interest. It is my understanding that Companies can't be held liable if they have taken all reasonable steps. And in my opinion there is nothing reasonable that you can do to mitigate against a high energy direct lightening strikes.

However it is still interesting to follow the story through and if Gilly does get a result I am sure other people that have the same problem in future will be interested in the outcome. And full marks to the VM Mods for not locking thread, even though Gilly is not very positive about VM.

Gilly - Please keep posting what happens. I for one am interested in the outcome even though I think you will eventually be unsuccessful.

Thank you very much for your input Royalman, it’s very much welcomed.

Very kind words.

Were you aware that the lightning didn’t actually hit my flat.

It hit a house in the next street and was spread by virgins coax junction box in that street

I wasn’t the only customer to be affected.

The house is far way enough from my flat not to notice half a dozen fire engines that night.

Fair game if it was a direct lightning hit on my flat, I wouldn’t complain about that..

I would thank my lucky stars I’m still alive and happily go and buy myself new equipment.

This wasn’t a direct hit though; it came through a 8mm hole in my wall via virgins coax cable.

I had made myself an I.T castle at home to protect my equipment

surge protection devices for for cheaper items Amplifier, USB gadgets, lights etc ,,,

an APC750 UPS mains protection supply for my Commodore collection,

modem, 24 port HP switch and gaming machine “deceased”.

I’d much rather the UPS took a hit than my equipment.

The Citizens Advice have experts in consumer law..as Trading standards

i’m quite happy for them to assist me.

I’ve had an excellent service from them..

Up until may this year, I was one virgins biggest fans, customer of 15yrs says it all..

Working in IT I’m often asked to recommend an ISP’s… I’d always say.. if you have virgin in your area… take that..

I should have been on commission for the amount of customers I’d directed to them.

Moderators are superstars.. thank you.

Thanks again Royalman..

@Gillyathome wrote:

Thank you very much for your input Royalman, it’s very much welcomed.

Very kind words.

Were you aware that the lightning didn’t actually hit my flat.

It hit a house in the next street and was spread by virgins coax junction box in that street

I wasn’t the only customer to be affected.

The house is far way enough from my flat not to notice half a dozen fire engines that night.

Fair game if it was a direct lightning hit on my flat, I wouldn’t complain about that..

I would thank my lucky stars I’m still alive and happily go and buy myself new equipment.

This wasn’t a direct hit though; it came through a 8mm hole in my wall via virgins coax cable.

I had made myself an I.T castle at home to protect my equipment

surge protection devices for for cheaper items Amplifier, USB gadgets, lights etc ,,,

an APC750 UPS mains protection supply for my Commodore collection,

modem, 24 port HP switch and gaming machine “deceased”.

I’d much rather the UPS took a hit than my equipment.

The Citizens Advice have experts in consumer law..as Trading standards

i’m quite happy for them to assist me.

I’ve had an excellent service from them..

Up until may this year, I was one virgins biggest fans, customer of 15yrs says it all..

Working in IT I’m often asked to recommend an ISP’s… I’d always say.. if you have virgin in your area… take that..

I should have been on commission for the amount of customers I’d directed to them.

Moderators are superstars.. thank you.

Thanks again Royalman..

The main issue still being, that all the while ther eis a physical connection there is no way for VM to prevent electricity travelling down a metal cable, they will have taken all reasonable precautions and as such they still won't be liable for it, the same would be true if it had been any other cable that had been the conduit for it, the only difference being that most of the other cables are either excessively grounded in the case of actual power cables or are so thin they would be immediately destroyed in the case of things like landline cables for phones, you're going to have to prove that reasonable precautions were not taken, given that the VM network doesn't carry high voltage electricity through it they aren't required to have any of the protections an electricity supplier would be required to have, so while everyone here can sympathise with you it would be unrealistic to expect VM to be responsible for what IS an act of nature, its not the answer you want but it is extremely likely to be the answer you're going to get no matter how hard you try to push for it otherwise, channel that energy in to something more constructive 🙂

Dear Santa 

There’s only 1 thing on my list this year.. I do hope you can help me please.

I have been a good boy.

In July I asked virgin for some information… it’s called a GDPR request..

You won’t have seen a GDPR yet Santa…. It’s a brand new thing available this year…

Could you send in your reindeer with the biggest red nose to have a sniff about..

It would be amazing if you could get it for me for Christmas.

Gilly

(598 months)

Silly me.....

I'd forgotten, virgin's email system is rubbish...  not getting a reply from Mr Branson

I saw him on tv recently talking about his spaceship and his No1 priority being safety....

may I humbly suggest you fix the issues on planet earth, before you start having problems in space...

I guess I have little hope of Santa getting my last email going on previous experiences. 

A Merry Christmas to everybody.

so I've followed that email up today with a letter to the ICO again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi ***********

Any update with my request to virgin, the CAB still cant progress my claim.

Could  you please raise my request with your management team, please..

6 months I’ve been waiting for virgin to comply.

Would you like an email from the CAB saying they have been waiting for this missing information ?

I can soon arrange an email or letter from them..

Thanks again

Gilly.

Hi folks, I do hope everybody had a happy and peaceful Christmas.

I had one of "those" Christmas's.

Santa did visit YAY !...

I didn't get the present I was hoping for.... ever had one of those Christmas's ?

I did get something to cheer me up..

My contact at the Citizens advice wrote back, with a letter.

I'm asking the CAB permission to post this.. just waiting for the OK

My case worker at the ICO wrote back saying, to assist me... I need to provide proof of my claims..my word V's virgin word at the moment.

and the Right to judicial remedy and compensation [GDPR Articles 79 & 82].

so I spent my entire Christmas break, putting together a little 44 page word document and voice recordings, providing new information.

as soon as I'm finished proof reading, It will be emailed to the ICO.

Gilly.

@Gillyathome wrote:

Silly me.....

I'd forgotten, virgin's email system is rubbish...  not getting a reply from Mr Branson

I saw him on tv recently talking about his spaceship and his No1 priority being safety....

may I humbly suggest you fix the issues on planet earth, before you start having problems in space...

I guess I have little hope of Santa getting my last email going on previous experiences. 

A Merry Christmas to everybody.

so I've followed that email up today with a letter to the ICO again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi ***********

Any update with my request to virgin, the CAB still cant progress my claim.

Could  you please raise my request with your management team, please..

6 months I’ve been waiting for virgin to comply.

Would you like an email from the CAB saying they have been waiting for this missing information ?

I can soon arrange an email or letter from them..

Thanks again

Gilly.

Branson has nothing to do with VM, they license the Virgin brand and nothing more, but you should already know this simple well known fact 😛

ive already made the point, Mr branson sold up to liberty media 2011 I think..but he still owns %3 if I'm correct..

his photos being used in adverts ... why shouldn't I have asked him for help ?

Gilly.