cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning- everything blown up - virgin washes their hands

Gillyathome
Up to speed

Can anybody help me with a contact number / email address for the zero harm division ?

the chief exec's office is blaming "god" for lightning blowing up my TV and Computer...

does "god" only pick on 12 virgin customers at the same time ?

I've never had such a poor experience from any customer care team. been bounced

from head office to cisas, pointless waste of time.... they can't help.

457 REPLIES 457

@Gillyathome wrote:

Hi Shane.

I thought you had a way of contacting Mr B the Billionaire Brand Owner.

Sorry about that.

I wish I had been a sky customer that night… my dish wouldn’t have been linked to the house that was hit by lightning.

As I’ve said before, If lightning hit me directly I wouldn’t be complaining.

The CAB’s consumer expert advice I’ve received differs from you opinion.

Did you miss my birthday celebrations on page 23 msg 227

I’m defiantly over 18.

It’s my own time I’m wasting, as my teachers would often say…

Thanks, Ignition

Nice link, I don’t know how you quantify a lost musical carrier.

I’d told my management after 30+ yrs in I.T I was giving it up.

Once I’d learnt to play the guitar, sing and dance.. I would be leaving..

I’d only had 9 skype guitar lessons before everything exploded..

looking on the bright side, not being able to sing, play or dance never

Stopped the spice girls from making it big.

Gilly.

To be fair, if the CAB actually think you have a case then i am inclined to believe you have in some way actually mislead them as acts of nature are by their very definition, not the fault of any person or entity that can actually be taken to court, there is absolutely nothing VM could have done that would have prevented lighting from travelling through the coax they supplied, literally nothing, as any electrician they choose to call to testify would be able to verify, as the VM network doesn't deal in high voltage currents they are not expected to have equipment in place to deal with lightning strikes, i mean you're welcome to attempt to take this case to court but i wouldn't try to convince even myself that it would have  a hope in hell of actually going being won, the only way you're getting anything is if your home insurance covers the damage, i mean, you do have home insurance right?

'i mean, you do have home insurance right?'

back on page one of this book, they said 'I don't have insurance, I'm a electronics wiz'

@jamesofmerton wrote:
'i mean, you do have home insurance right?'

back on page one of this book, they said 'I don't have insurance, I'm a electronics wiz'

Being an electronics wiz has very little to do with lacking the sense to insure your home and its contents, because as they have now very clearly learned, being an electronics wiz doesn't prevent acts of nature 😛

That might explain why they are trying to push so hard despite it being a lost battle, desperation does drive people to do silly things

yep.  bit like me saying i have no car insurance because i am a car mechanic wiz or i don't need private health care because i'm a brain surgeon.

what the op is forgetting is that insurance is there to pay out not only them but others too should something happen that affects their property. being a wiz is totally irrelevant. things go wrong no matter how clever of a wiz they are.

It would be interesting to know how an electronics "wiz" would replace a roof, or repair water damage due a flood, or replace stolen items etc, etc, and smile knowing they have to foot the bill themselves.

To be Fair, the only misleading going on

Started with Virgin’s Vicky Pollard’s Yeah but no but yeah but no - attitude to customer services.

Top marks to Jamesofmerton for remembering the story.

NO I didn’t tick the “Would you like your equipment insured, as we may blow it up at anytime" tick box

I must have missed that one..

I’ve have covered all this before shane… Zzzzzzz

The CAB’s letter will be with virgin shortly, this week I hope.

Not long now. Hopefully then all the armchair duff legal advice will be over.

I’d love to explain, what’s in the letter CAB’s letter to virgin.

I’ve not seen it myself yet…

Gilly.

There is no tickbox, it's not a Virgin Media optional service. It's called being a responsible householder and having adequate buildings and contents insurance which should have covered the cost of replacing any damaged equipment.

Surely you're fully aware, being an "electronics wiz", that Virgin Media did not blow up your equipment? Unless they now control the weather, in which case I must have missed the news.

@Gillyathome wrote:

To be Fair, the only misleading going on

Started with Virgin’s Vicky Pollard’s Yeah but no but yeah but no - attitude to customer services.

Top marks to Jamesofmerton for remembering the story.

NO I didn’t tick the “Would you like your equipment insured, as we may blow it up at anytime" tick box

I must have missed that one..

I’ve have covered all this before shane… Zzzzzzz

The CAB’s letter will be with virgin shortly, this week I hope.

Not long now. Hopefully then all the armchair duff legal advice will be over.

I’d love to explain, what’s in the letter CAB’s letter to virgin.

I’ve not seen it myself yet…

Gilly.

Well be sure to let us know what it contains when you do see it and let us know how loudly VM laugh at the claims that they owe you anything for an act of nature, my money is on the armchair legal service being the one that is going to be correct in this, like i've said your case gets shot down the second VM get an electrician to testify because the VM network isn't required to be protected from lightning strikes, its an underground network not designed to carry high voltage, if this were the electrical grid you "might" have had more of a chance, although again with it being an act of nature that nobody can plan for its still pretty much open and shut

Also, who would have someone draft a legal document to be sent to someone without knowing what was in said document? i mean, other than you, because i would sure as hell want to know what was in it before it was sent

Hi again

You must have skipped bits, I’ve already explained lots of this.

Sorry to everybody for repeating stuff.

I had built a castle around my kit to protect “the precious things”.

The star of the show being on Page 7 Msg 62 +surge protectors.

Let me know what you think you see In the first photo.

I’d built an I.T castle around my kit, with a drawbridge and moat..

even filled the moat with hungry crocodiles & piranhas ..

All defeated by bomb from the sky.

Yer I’ve already had a face full of virgins customer service manager chap

laughing during the visit…he found dead kit & melted and rock stiff networks leads

all very amusing.

That’s what a draft letter is, I’ll be proof reading it before the CAB commit to sending it.

No mystery.

Are you up for a forfeit if your wrong ? being a betting man Smiley Very Happy

Gilly.

Surge protectors are, as the name implies, to protect against surges in the supply due to transmission issues and irregularities and not lightning strikes.
The surge protector I use is rated for surges up to 900 joules, meanwhile a lightning strike is in the billions of joules. Good luck with that.

Having protection against things is all well and good, it is not a substitute for insurance.