cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning- everything blown up - virgin washes their hands

Gillyathome
Up to speed

Can anybody help me with a contact number / email address for the zero harm division ?

the chief exec's office is blaming "god" for lightning blowing up my TV and Computer...

does "god" only pick on 12 virgin customers at the same time ?

I've never had such a poor experience from any customer care team. been bounced

from head office to cisas, pointless waste of time.... they can't help.

457 REPLIES 457

KP52
Joining in

This happened to me also, damaged the hdmi port on the v box (will only output over scart now) and blew the main board of the 40" TV connected at the time via hdmi, not a nice thing to discover when returning home.
I've fixed the TVs board myself now at my expense and time. I deliberately kept the isolator that VM supplied years ago, when I had this v box installed, I was asked by the VM technician what it was! When I told him, he was insistent that there was no need for it...I'll say no more.

Hi KP52

you wouldn't have a tratec TRIS-1002AEN isolator would you ? and live in Romford ? 28th may big bang ?

me and the other guy that got zapped both had the same type of useless isolators .... maybe theres a problem with them. they don't want to talk about.

anybody out there that can shed some light on why , if a TRIS-1002AEN is not replaced.. the engineer gets sacked for not replacing it..

sounds like they know something we don't.

Gilly

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Sounds like you've misheard. TRIS-1002AEN is the latest model of isolator offered by Technetix and is the current model being used by virgin.

it's looks like there are 2 manufacturers of the isolators , both called TRIS 1002-AEN , one make is TRATEC the other is made by TECHNETIX

google image serach tris 1002 aen for the photos..

my TRATEC tris has been connected for years and has now been replaced with a TECHNETIX TRIS 1002L ?

Gilly

TRIS-1002L fully isolated wall outlet

Overview

Isolators (frequently referred to as system outlets) are used to separate the in-home installation or subscriber equipment from the CATV network. They prevent hazardous voltages from being transferred to in-home installations.

Technetix supplies two major types of isolator; fully and semi-isolated system outlets. The TRIS series comprises fully isolated system outlets developed to meet the needs of the European market. They incorporate high voltage capacitors that provide isolation to both the inner an the outer conductors of the coaxial connectors. There are a variety of one, two and three port isolators in the TRIS-series as well as many accessories such as ABShousings, adaptor plates and push-on lters.

The TRIS-1002L single output isolator has a nickel plated, zinc die-cast housing and a tin-nickel plated, machined brass input connector. The material of the inner spring has been designed specially for connecting coax cables with an inner core of between 0.51 and 1.20 mm. It retains this elasticity and provides effective clamping force even when varying thicknesses of inner conductor are connected in succession.

http://files.technetix.com/pdf/datasheets/TRIS-1002L_05112012_final_v1_0.pdf

Technetix own Tratec and bought them out in 2005. The only thing that differentiates the isolators is who owned the company during the period they were manufactured.

The acquisition of Netherlands-based company Tratec positioned Technetix as the leading European manufacturer of network final-mile products. This acquisition provided us with a wide-reaching European market and sales presence with additional offices in Poland, Denmark and France as well as the UK, Netherlands and Spain.

https://en-gb.technetix.com/about-us/our-story

Back again to update everybody... not much this time … but progress anyway.

Nice Info dante01,

do you have the same spec sheets for the TRATEC TRIS 1002-AEN ?  for my one that didn't work.

i'd like to have them side by side technically compared ...

Another brief update... HOORAR for GDPR

I've requested the engineers, customer service manager reports, network managers reports... as they all visited me. and never copied me

into any emails after visiting me... not very polite.

I've also requested my voice recordings, virgin first offered to replace everything for me,, before their letter to the contrary saying they wouldn't.

DGPR it's a free service, virgin get 30 days to reply to any ones requests. the requests can only be about you and your data.

Info gathering stage is nearly complete now..

N.B Saturday I was getting 88mb instead of 300+ i was getting before the lightning... the rude customer services refused to call out an engineer for me.

I did explain the lightning saga, but he was adamant his diags say o.k, so no engineer...…..

out of utter frustration with somebody that doesn't listen to you.

cancellations please!

after 2 months of sleepless nights and going to bed furious. I've decided I cant take this anymore.

15yrs as a customer, never been late with a payment - and you treat me like this... shame on you.

Due to virgins woeful attempt at customer services and refusing to make right what they blew up... CANCELLED !!!!   given 60 days notice, bye bye.

i'm still pursuing you via the legal route, your not off the hook.

Gilly

wrote:

do you have the same spec sheets for the TRATEC TRIS 1002-AEN ?  for my one that didn't work.

As said, they are the same unit, but the original manufacturer Tratec was bought out by Technetix. I'd suggest the reason for Virgin systematically  replacing the isolators to have more to do with their age as opposed to different components being used. The unit is standard right the way across the EU and there's never been any issues related to its use. I'd not expect one to be able to prevent damage caused by a lighting strike anyway and they are used to prevent surges that result from faults with the network and the hardware associated with it  as opposed to lightning.

Thanks again for your reply.

any idea of the lifespan of the isolators ? I guess they don't last forever

this one was fitted at least 10 yrs ago.. 

@Gillyathome wrote:

Thanks again for your reply.

any idea of the lifespan of the isolators ? I guess they don't last forever

this one was fitted at least 10 yrs ago.. 

Sorry, no idea as to their lifespan. 

@dante01 wrote:
 wrote:

As said, they are the same unit, but the original manufacturer Tratec was bought out by Technetix. I'd suggest the reason for Virgin systematically  replacing the isolators to have more to do with their age as opposed to different components being used. The unit is standard right the way across the EU and there's never been any issues related to its use. I'd not expect one to be able to prevent damage caused by a lighting strike anyway and they are used to prevent surges that result from faults with the network and the hardware associated with it  as opposed to lightning.

I agree with you dante01, and I made the very same point in my post earlier in this thread.