cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning- everything blown up - virgin washes their hands

Gillyathome
Up to speed

Can anybody help me with a contact number / email address for the zero harm division ?

the chief exec's office is blaming "god" for lightning blowing up my TV and Computer...

does "god" only pick on 12 virgin customers at the same time ?

I've never had such a poor experience from any customer care team. been bounced

from head office to cisas, pointless waste of time.... they can't help.

24 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

The VM isolator deals with surges up to a point. When a thunderstorm is coming, the best thing to do is to unplug everything. I would also disconnect the coaxial cable from the termination box.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

wrote:

do you have the same spec sheets for the TRATEC TRIS 1002-AEN ?  for my one that didn't work.

As said, they are the same unit, but the original manufacturer Tratec was bought out by Technetix. I'd suggest the reason for Virgin systematically  replacing the isolators to have more to do with their age as opposed to different components being used. The unit is standard right the way across the EU and there's never been any issues related to its use. I'd not expect one to be able to prevent damage caused by a lighting strike anyway and they are used to prevent surges that result from faults with the network and the hardware associated with it  as opposed to lightning.

@Gillyathome wrote:

Thanks again for your reply.

any idea of the lifespan of the isolators ? I guess they don't last forever

this one was fitted at least 10 yrs ago.. 

Sorry, no idea as to their lifespan. 

@dante01 wrote:
 wrote:

do you have the same spec sheets for the TRATEC TRIS 1002-AEN ?  for my one that didn't work.

As said, they are the same unit, but the original manufacturer Tratec was bought out by Technetix. I'd suggest the reason for Virgin systematically  replacing the isolators to have more to do with their age as opposed to different components being used. The unit is standard right the way across the EU and there's never been any issues related to its use. I'd not expect one to be able to prevent damage caused by a lighting strike anyway and they are used to prevent surges that result from faults with the network and the hardware associated with it  as opposed to lightning.

I agree with you dante01, and I made the very same point in my post earlier in this thread.

dante01 as someone who is knowledgable regarding all things audio/HiFi etc i thought you may be interested to know of my practical example of what can happen if an isolator is not fitted.

Some years ago (NTL days) I had to call an engineer out to carry out some work and he for some reason removed the isolator from the incoming coax.

After he left I could hear a 50hz mains hum from my sub connected to my Yamaha RX V3087.

As you have probably guessed it was caused by the removal of the isolator and hence in doing so it caused a hum loop in the system.

Fitting an isolator cured the problem.

So they do have there uses but not necessarily for full on lighting protection.

Michael Davis   Could I suggest you read the full thread before commenting. The problem originated from the virgin street furniture thru the co-ax not thru the mains. The"Serge (spelt 'surge') protection devices are incorporated in multi gang power strips if you are prepared to spends a few extra pounds to safe guard expensive electronic equipment, " you refer too are designed to deal with everyday spikes in supply voltage not 1,000's of volts from a lightening strike. The isolator referred to is supplied in the equipment virgin fit in the wall box, not something the customer has retro fitted and is there to protect their equipment in the street as much as to protect the customers equipment from them. Hope this clarifies things so your lessons are correct in future.

How very strange the same thing happened to me, in the lightening storm last year something went pop. Which happenend to be my bloody pc/tv/amp/sound system pretty much my whole entertainment system went up in smoke ....... and you know what I get told . Frickin act of god . After a long drawn out process back and forth with phone calls,emails and even took the time to write letters. The answer was the same ! Good luck and cancel imo

be_fine

I've been following this thread with interest because I'd like to understand the risk to my equipment.

I found an interesting US case where the customer was compensated for damage from a lightning strike to a neighbouring property which sent a spike down the CATV cable. The US standards on cable tv/broadband seem to differ from the VM practice in that it appears that they do not have a fully isolated connection to the STB/Modem but they bond every customer outlet to their main electrical earth. In this case the customer had paid for a satellite dish to be installed after the cable installation. The dish installer incorrectly assumed it would be replacing the cable connection, so he bonded the dish installation by moving the cable company's protective bonding cable to the dish installation. In the end the dish installer paid for the damage caused by the cable surge because they had removed the protective bond.

See www.avsforum.com/forum/35-cable-digital-cable-non-hdtv/899730-cable-company-s-responsibility-regardi...

The VM installations do not have such a protective bonding cable, relying instead on isolating capacitors. I wonder whether VM has ever done a risk assessment on their alternative method.

A couple of sources of technical information on lightning protection:

LIGHTNING AND.... SURGE PROTECTION: Tutorial by Kenneth Schneider PhD (A fairly brief description of the issues.) 

Lightning Protection Guide from DEHN (UK) Ltd (A really technical set of info. Sections 7 and 9.5 are the most relevant, but the focus is on commercial premises rather than domestic installations.)

I've failed to find relevant information on the subject from the IET.

There seems to be a general view that local ground bonding is key. That is not provided in a typical VM installation. 

No precautions can guarantee that there will never be a case where lightning causes damage. In section 7 of the Dehn paper we find a guideline sentence "A final risk analysis must prove that the residual risk is less than the tolerable risk" which leaves the assessment of a tolerable risk open for discussion.

As I said, good luck with your claim, you will need it. Hope it does not end up costing you more money.

Keithyjohno
Tuning in

The same has happened to me, and ive been told so many different things by VM customer services. 

Firstly it is NOT an act of god, as if my tv was not connected via HDMI to the tivo box, then my tv would still work, so the act of god may have caused the damage to the tivo box, but it was the tivo box that damaged my tv not an act of god.

Secondly I have been informed by 2 different customer service reps that this is not a common issue and it was 1st they had heard of it, funny how this blog shows that is a lie and VM are well aware of this problem.

Thirdly, I feel the company are in breach of service as they are aware there is an issue with there cabling structure and lighting strikes in the UK are not uncommon and as they provide a service and equipment that can cause damage to the customers personal property they have a duty of care to investigate and resolve this or surely they are failing to provide a safe n suitable service and they must be in breach. The customer service they provide is nothing short of disgraceful with misguided and untrue information again this shouldnt happen from a company as big and reptuable in the UK. This can happen again to anyone of thier current customers and VM dont seem to care and they should. This does not happen with Sky TV or Freeview. This issue dates back on this forum and others to 2014 but still VM have done nothing. Ild be keen to hear from others who have suffered from same similar problem so we can proove this failure by VM 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In terms of the Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) it does not help matters when filenames with a format of Call1_ followed by what appears to be sequence identifier have unexplained gaps. Consider discussing the matter with Virgin Media and/or the ICO.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome. Do pay attention to Pre-action Protocol. You MUST follow this to the letter. You can find templates all over the place. You must be able to quantify the losses incurred.

As far as a lost musical career goes, no chance as you must be able to quantify losses and becoming the next Eric Clapton based on a few Skype guitar lessons isn't it, however the cost to replace and hardware you feel has been damaged, alongside quantifying time and money spent attempting to resolve the issue is perfectly reasonable.

Once the protocol is done the next step is obviously action.

I read the first few pages of this thread and, frankly, lost the will to live. Time to bring this to an end one way or the other and MCOL is that route - no lawyer required unless it ends up in court.

I do wonder if the tin foil hat you were wearing at the time had anything to do with the lightening strike.

I do also find it humorous that the VM new build team are called "project lightening"

I have read through the topic/blog (quiet day) and did wonder one thing that hasn't been addressed - how did you come up with the damage at £2000 - were the computer and TV new? - because if not then you would have depreciation taken off any figure of compensation. Its not like insurance that sometimes will give new for old.

Brill, thanks for the updates

Hi Gilly,

thanks for the update - unfortunately we don't get to see your pictures as they seem to get blocked.

Thanks Gilly 🙂

Can see it now - anything from the courts yet?

To be fair Gilly it does say they "aim" to be in touch within 7 days. The arbitrary time limit the CAB have given is not a factor really. They raised a complaint on your behalf the complaints policy says it can take up to 28 days to reply.

I imagine the 7 days aim is for run of the mill complaints/issues - which I'm sure you'll agree yours isn't.  

I think even Brexit may be sorted before this case.

'he's always been "to busy" to talk with me directly when I've written before'

ceo's rarely get involved with customer complaints. the press and or mp involvement is usually when they come to life. ceo's are there to manage the company. managers are there to manage the staff.

usually the executive team get complaints addressed to a ceo. it is then passed to the customer services manager who will likely pass to a senior customer services member of staff. the ceo may ask for an update depending on the nature of the complaint, but that is usually the full extent of their involvement.

Thanks for the updates Gilly.

And Zvonok if you're not interested don't open the thread - simples as they say. Over 4000 views on this thread leads me to think that there's more than a few people keeping an eye on things, I was being conservative.

@Gillyathome wrote: "if I was the CEO of a company … and I received a letter from the CAB with a litany of complaints about a customers miss treatment

And then I passed it off to somebody to deal with , who then did exactly NOTHING

i'd not only sack the people i'd charged to deal with the complaint,,, i'd probably resign myself."

No need for Tom to resign, he has received his marching orders - maybe down to how your case has been handled. lol

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.

Yes you are expected to give the other side every reasonable opportunity to put things right before going to the courts - but this has now been going on for over a year, just initiate legal proceedings or give it up.

It seems fairly obvious to me that VM are going to stick by their Ts & Cs and are not intending to take any responsibility for the damage to your equipment, you've put in a complaint, made a claim, they've rejected it and as far as they are concerned the whole matter is closed. Every time you or CAB or anyone else, writes them a letter or makes a call, the thing gets re-opened, it makes its torturous way through VMs complaints department and you get sent out another boiler-plated letter telling you to take it to arbitration, and they close the case

VM can and will keep this going indefinitely.

Start an action in the small claims court and lets see how that pans out - although I suspect that many of us on here already suspect what the outcome will be.

Anonymous
Not applicable
you do not need any input from VM to take them to court.
You will never win if you wait for VM who clearly count the case as closed.

Get a court date and send them. If they don't show you'll most likely win. If they show you'll lose and be out of pocket for there costs.

457 REPLIES 457

Anonymous
Not applicable
an act of god. Most insurance won't cover it.

Not sure what you want VM to do. They won't replace your TV or computer. They will only replace there own equipment.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Doesn't house insurance cover lightning strikes?

hi thanks for your reply

the lightning didn't hit my house, the house in the next street.

the lightning hit that house, entered coax at that property and travelled down the street to the green box.

it blew that up , at the same time - it came down my cable - exploding my V6 and everything on the HDMI chain.

Anonymous
Not applicable
that will be one for your insurance then. There should be isolators on the connections but they do not always work 100% and people often remove them when they modify VM cabling in house.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If lightning can travel through the air for over a mile to strike the geound an isolator doesn't stand a chance

hi again

I don't have insurance, I'm a electronics wiz.. I can fix most things myself, and not having an Ariel I though I'd be safe as houses.

dead motherboards and graphics cards are a little beyond my fixit skills.

last thing I expected was a zapping from the coax - Virgin should have insurance for this type of damage , I would have thought ?

my isolator on the wall failed miserably - so it's virgin's responsibility to put this right...

Anonymous
Not applicable
you can't prove that the surge was from the coax. you can only suspect. Maybe it was on the power line.

I can prove it came up the coax, other computers I have and other equipment didnt's suffer from the explosion.

only items connected to the V6 box took a whack.

I had the cus/serv manager and the network manager visit me - to confirm this

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the T&C

We will not be liable in any way for any loss or damage arising from your use of your equipment with our equipment. We will not be liable for any loss of or damage to any additional equipment. We have the right to charge you for any replacement additional equipment.