Menu
gilburton
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just cancelled Virgin

After many years(NTL Customer) I got the price increase letter today.

I had heard the news that they would be increasing again but as I am on a limited budget I can no longer absorb the increases so bye bye Virgin. Usually no sooner than you negotiate a discount the price goes up again a few months later anyway??

I've been trialling the Three 4g home wifi and it does all I need . I'm lucky in that I can get 40/50 mbs and that is enough for my usage. TVplayer gives all the basic channels and for an extra £6.99 I can get some premium documentary channels eg Discovery/History etc. Failing that I've got a dish so can go Freesat.

I can get by with Amazon/Netflix, much cheaper contract and no line rental.

When I rang up they immediately offered £55 against the £83 I am paying now but I stood firm and said no lol

I can't fault the broadband service even after many years and if they had a basic broadband only service with no line rental I may have kept it but it's too late now anyway.

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just cancelled Virgin

it's a no brainer to cancel if you can't now afford to the cost.
plenty cheaper options available.

virgin do offer a broadband only service with no line rental though.

gilburton
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

£37 per month with £35 set up fees for 50mb for NEW customers??

I'm getting 40/50mb for £11.50 for 6 mths then £23 for the remainder of the 24 mths.

By then 5g will probably be up and running in most parts of the country so I'll review it again.

4g and 5g will probably gain a lot of custom from people who haven't got decent internet or out in the country where Virgin don't lay cables.

As I write this I'm getting 40 mb on Three which isn't far off my Virgin speed on wifi.

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

as i said

it's a no brainer to cancel if you can't now afford the cost.
plenty cheaper options available.
0 Kudos
brainszoo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

just cancelled to about 3 months ago, now saving £34.00 a month, with a TALKING company (hint). we used freeview for tv now, more than adiquate for our needs, paying for the tv package was like paying for FREEVIEW plus a few other dumb channels, did not make sense to pay for something we already get for free. the loyalty operator offered us a package for £37.00, we of course refused. The reason I'm here now is because this morning we recieved an A4 leaflet offering us broadband and phone for £27.00 or a big bundle (dont make me laugh virgin 54mbps is the same i'm now getting elswhere and as for the tv offered, most of the channels I get for FREE) for £30.00 (both 12 month contract, bet there will be a price increase in that time - thats why we left ).

If virgin had made this offer in the leaflet at the time we were leaving, WE WOULD HAVE STAYED........

go figure....

Good luck  in your search for a much better deal, they are out there.

0 Kudos
_m_i_c_k_
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Anyone know what number I would ring to cancel/get a better deal if I DON'T have a VM phone? I would be phoning from my mobile so hopefully there is a free/cheap number to call.

TIA

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

same number you would call.
if you have a virgin phone then it's 150, if you don't then it's just the normal CS phone number
0 Kudos
gilburton
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No real help but it's 150 from a virgin landline or mobile. Might be worth getting hold of a virgin sim or if you know anyone with a virgin phone?

Call 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or
call 0345 454 1111 * from any other phone

Monday to Friday, 8am until 9pm

Saturday, 8am until 8pm and Sunday 8am until 6pm

For our text relay service call us free on 18001 0800 052 2164

You can also contact us through a sign language interpreterOpen 7 days a week, 8am until midnight.