Menu
Highlighted
alangalaxy
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have just been told to look elsewhere!

My package price is about to go up from £65 to £69 next month and the following moth takes an horrendous jump up to £84!

When I took out the contract I was told to contact VM in August to see what new deals are available which i did earlier today.

I was staggered to be told that there is nothing that can be done and I want the service to remain as it is then I will have to pay the £84. On explaining that, for the package I have (no sport, no movies and 350mb broadband, plus a worthless phone line which is never used) this is far too much money and I may be forced to look elsewhere I was told "you had better look elsewhere then, would you like to cancel your service today?"

I have never experienced anything like this, I have been with the same provider since it was Telewest and in all honesty I expect some kind of loyalty bonus. This is a completely bewildering situation, obviously I don't want to cancel the Virgin Media service but right now Sky's package is looking more than tempting.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have just been told to look elsewhere!

Remember when you cancel it takes 30 days notice - a lot can happen in that time. Once you are officially out of contract then a day or so later call retentions again - early - 0800-11.00 is best - and negotiate again.
A different day and different agent often means a different deal. See what they can offer you then. Remember to play the "loyal customer" card strongly - they often add discounts for those - If its still not acceptable tell them you are cancelling after all and your 30 day period starts.
Use that to find the best switch deal you can - but dont activate it yet. You will always get at least one call back (sometimes several) from the retentions team offering you their "best" deal for you stay. Take it or leave it - if leave it - just activate to your swapped deal.
You can always return in 18 months or so and get a better VM deal.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Do you need 350Mbps? Sky don't offer this (as an example at my house I can get 51-59Mbps download with 18-19Mbps upload), so could you be OK with, say, M100.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Excellent suggestions from jbrennand and Roger_Gooner, I can offer some thoughts about why they won't discount, as I've worked for a few big customer service companies.  The most probable explanation for the "no discount" story is one of the following things:

1) They've over achieved customer targets either across all of VM, so no reason they'd want to give existing customers a discount if they feel they have customer numbers at or above their target level.

2) Local to you, the network is fully utilised.  Why give an existing customer a discount if there's a queue of prospective new customers?

For both 1 & 2, you'd argue that each subsequent new customer will be on a discount deal, and that's true, but VM know that a good proportion of new customers will eventually float onto the full price package, so on average the future value of a new customer based on expected duration of business less churn out will be higher than for an existing customer.  The companies I've worked for operated complex discounted cash flow models of customer value that are used in pricing and retention policy decisions, and those models would generally indicate that discounts for new customers are better value than discounting for existing customers.  I'm not sure that the commercial evidence really supported the models, but in big monolithic corporations the management put their faith in models that tell them what they want to believe!

3) VM's customer segmentation and analytics puts you in a segment that they have very high belief won't leave if turned down for a discount.  This could include previous history, your credit score, your social demographic, where you live, how your neighbours behave, purchased external data (such as whether you've changed energy supplier or bank, or use price comparison web sites).  Obviously VM's prediction can be wrong for you or any individual, but probably works at a population level.  In most cases, retentions agents will be on a bonus that is driven by retaining customers at the lowest possible discount level, so their best outcome is you not leaving, and not getting a discount, and they may be under orders not to give a discount unless certain triggers are mentioned by the customer - eg competitor deals, specific action words like "I'd like to cancel unless you can give me a better deal".  Whereas, simply threatening to leave, or saying that VM are poor value may not pass those trigger tests.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If Andruser is correct (as i'm sure he is !) then just try it and see - and if they dont offer you a "good" deal - then just leave for a better deal and return in 18 months.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos