Menu
brooky_agb
Tuning in
Message 11 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can I sign up with Virgin for new build?

Hi @kirts!

Are you moving to Northstowe too? I heard the same. One of the sale reps Val said its going to be available from November. Our house won't be ready until April. 

All new homes in Northstowe will have a direct fibre connection! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kirts
Tuning in
Message 12 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi @brooky_agb,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, I am Smiley Happy If everything goes well, I should be there before the end of December. I got the same information from Val as well and thankfully checking on the http://plan.scambs.gov.uk confirms that.

Considering its a direct fibre connection, I would hope that we can get 300mbps but I still haven't managed to confirm that with Virgin.

It would be great if an Admin here could give us some further information on this matter.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
brooky_agb
Tuning in
Message 13 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Great news! We exchanged on the house we are selling today so it looks like we are all set for April so long as the winter isn't too harsh.

In theory I believe a direct fibre connection can easily achieve 1000mbps but I don't know what kind of packages we will be able to get. Maybe you can let me know. Smiley Happy

Anything is better than our current 3mbps form BT!

0 Kudos
kirts
Tuning in
Message 14 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is certainly an exciting period and glad to hear everything goes as expected Smiley Happy I went for plot 3 as it will be our first house.

Indeed, in theory it can achieve amazing speeds but it depends if the rest of the infrastructure is in place and how busy the network will be etc.. I guess I will find out soon enough, I will make sure to update here.
brooky_agb
Tuning in
Message 15 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I have no doubt it will be speedy.
0 Kudos
kirts
Tuning in
Message 16 of 31
Flag for a moderator

So the latest update that I got is that while there is a fibre optic connection, the cabinets has not been installed and therefore, I won't have internet at all until the end of January and even then.. they cannot be certain. Unfortunately, it is not their job to install the cabinet and therefore, they cannot do anything other than "chasing" the people being responsible for that.

Quite different from what I was told that by early November everything will be sorted.. Quite disappointing to be honest.

0 Kudos
brooky_agb
Tuning in
Message 17 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Disappointing and typical.

I suppose the only option to start with is mobile Broadband. On my visit to the site I have found Three to have a very strong and very fast 4G connection. 

Really appreciate your update. If I learn anything I'll be sure to share it. 

0 Kudos
brooky_agb
Tuning in
Message 18 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I don't know about you but we have exchanged contracts and paid the deposit. There seemed to be a lot of confusion over service charge but the rest of the purchase was smooth. Hopefully it was/is for you too. 

0 Kudos
kirts
Tuning in
Message 19 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Yesterday, I was provided with a form to complete for Virgin Media. It appears that after all the fuss that I created (I will go into details soon), they started working with Virgin Media and they now have a partnership. The form provides me with 90 days free trial but of course it still doesn't provide me with any date on when it will happen.

Unfortunately, I am being told constantly a lot of different things, the one moment the cabinets are not there and it will take until January (maybe) and then the other moment they are there and its all the fault of Virgin Media. Basically, it is a constant ping pong of responsibility.

I have not exchanged yet any contracts but they are putting an enormous amount of pressure on me to do so. They have gone to lengths of even "modifying" my reservation form (I don't want to use stronger words) so that the exchange date is significantly earlier! I don't want to go into further details here as I don't want to end up with a legal action against me but it is safe to say, this whole thing has been a nightmare!

What issues did you have with the service charges? Are you referring to greenbelt?

0 Kudos
brooky_agb
Tuning in
Message 20 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Frustrating but I am sure they will get it in ASAP as they will want to start billing new customers.

We had strict deadlines thrown at us too and we missed them. On reservation the sales agent told us not to worry too much about them and that nobody ever met them. Saying this check your contract because you may find that missing them does give the right for them to take any incentives away agreed at reservation. I asked the sales reps about that and they said that it wouldn't happen and not to worry but legally I think they could. 

After numerous deadlines missed we weren't getting any clear answers about management company. We then found out the provider was changing to Greenbelt. This then made them miss their own deadlines because the contract needed rewriting. Smiley LOL 

There is a lot of hot air and pressure. So long as you are still proceed-able and everyone is working to get stuff done I'm sure it will be fine.  

0 Kudos