Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How do I delete my VM Community account?

How do I delete my VM Community account? Since GDPR, I can find the option in most community forums and delete data and pictures I posted. Where is the option on this Virgin Media forum?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I delete my VM Community account?

there is no option, users are not allowed to. in the anti scamming forums i help run, we don't allow user account deletion either.

wait for a virgin mod to respond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

your forum account doesn't hold any GDPR data you can't remove.. remove your name and email to something else and there is nothing personal stored here

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It does hold GDPR data, I posted pictures of the inside of my home and also described details of my location. And as you said, it has my email etc. If Virgin Media want to rely on public forums so they don't have to spend money on actually providing direct support for their paying customers, fine. But it does not give them a licence to ignore my rights when it comes to GDPR and the right to erasure. There is very little option to get help/support directly with Virgin Media, it's all designed to prevent paying users from getting phone or email support. Now that my request for help is not needed anymore, I don't need this account and do not want the personal information I shared about my home to remain public anymore.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The forum moderators will be able to remove your forum account.  Any posts you have made will remain, but will be under an anonymous account label.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

plus you posted it online. its always online. It will be in caches. (google/bing) way back and many more. you make the info public domain when you posted it. deleting your account will not remove it

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi User_789, 

We can certainly delete your user profile. As Graham_A has explained, your posts will remain but under an anonymous label.

I will private message you to confirm before we go ahead.

Thanks,

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i'm assuming that has already been done other the username "user_789" is hardly something you could identify someone with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

i'm assuming that has already been done other the username "user_789" is hardly something you could identify someone with.

Well you are assuming incorrectly.  Once the account has been deleted the forum name will change to 'Anonymous' and will not be clickable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

my point stands though. i see no identifiable information, thus any "GDPR" claim would be outwith the remit of GDPR.

unless, of course, the persons full name is "User_789".

pictures of the inside of my home and also described details of my location would not be deemed as user identifiable information. even your full address alone would not be user indentifiable information.
all the photos posted by "User_789" are of close ups of sockets on a wall. me thinks the OP doesn't understand what GDPR is.