cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has everyone received a price increase?

Matteds100
Joining in

Hi 

We’ve not received any notification about a price rise (but have every previous year). Just wondering if we’re not getting one or if we’re just at the end of the notification list! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Matteds100 

The price increase (they come into effect in either April or May) notifications are being phased out over a couple of months. That way customer services shouldn't be overwhelmed. You should also receive a notification even you aren't  going to be affected by this years increase.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Matteds100 

The price increase (they come into effect in either April or May) notifications are being phased out over a couple of months. That way customer services shouldn't be overwhelmed. You should also receive a notification even you aren't  going to be affected by this years increase.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

That’s really helpful thank you 👍 

I know that my price rise is due on 1 May but I've yet to receive an email or letter.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

ajdoubleu777
Joining in

We currently pay £55 per month, we received a letter today regarding the price increase where it says it's increasing by £21.50 per month! 

Well it's Indian Tech scammers thinking, if they can afford it, then make them pay it!

Hi Newapollo,

VM are switching from CPI to RPI from 2024 (change in terms of contract),  does that mean all customers affected by this change are able to leave, or just the ones who have been or will be notified of the price increase this year?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Shroko 

Only those affected  by the price change taking effect on either 1st April or 1st May 2023 this year will be able to leave without paying an early termination fee. They must do this within 30 days of receiving the notification

VM are also informing all customers that “we’re making a change to their T&Cs which introduces an annual inflation linked price rise based on the Retail Price Index +3.9%. This will come into effect from April 2024 and is then effective from April each year.”

That means customers won’t be able to exit penalty free when next year’s hikes (which will be a minimum of the set rate  of 3.9%, plus RPI  which is currently estimated to reach 1.5% in 2024) are unveiled.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thanks Newapollo,

I understand the price increase allows affected customers the option to leave within the 30 day notice period. 

Specifically, I would like to know are customers able to leave due to VM switching from CPI to RPI, this is a change in the T's & C's. 

CPI is used by all other broadband suppliers and is less than the RPI method of calculating the annual increase. 

• Given that customers of VM will now be charged differently in April/May 2024, does this significant change to the contract allow people to leave penalty free, once they are notified this year?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It's not a change from CPI to RPI, because in previous years VM simply increased by whatever they thought they could get away with, but there was nothing baked into the terms and conditions.  Under Ofcom's rules, if it wasn't in the T&Cs and the increase exceeded CPI, then VM or any other ISP had to give customers the option to leave. 

The big change here is that VM are baking this in contractually so it can't be a grounds to leave, which means in future customers will normally be hit by two of these swingeing annual increases in an 18 month fixed term contract.

So that's why you get the chance to leave this year, both due to the above CPI increase, and because it's a material change to terms.  But next year, because it will be baked into the T&Cs you won't have the option to say no.  There's no magic around CPI or RPI here, the T&Cs could say "prices each year will rise by the number of Boris Johnson's illegitimate children plus 5.1%" and it would still qualify as enforceable and not giving you the chance to refuse (because Ofcom are as clueless as Ofgem).