cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green box blocking driveway

Andy115
Joining in

Hi,

I have been moving into a property recently and there is a green box blocking my driveway. I would like for the green box to be relocated by approx 1.5m but not sure where to start.

Regards,

Andy

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You could start by posting some photos of the offending cabinet and one of the VM forum team may be able to refer these and/or you on to the relevant VM department (although the VM forum team don't generally reply on this 'Community Natter' forum). Depending on what the cabinet is, whether it is in use and how many customers are connected to it, some/all of the following may apply.

Past topics about this have mentioned a survey fee of £250-ish from which VM produce a quote for the work (which may just be a very large figure of money plucked from the air).

Search through the forum archives for similar topics and (where costs are actually mentioned) they are typically 5-figure sums of money.

In practical/financial terms, VM has no interest or willingness to move cabinets as they may service dozens of VM customers who would have their services interrupted by such a move, requiring VM to compensate them for the disruption and loss of service. Nothing to stop you paying the survey fee and getting a quote but, in all likelihood, moving a working VM cabinet is generally not practical/affordable in most cases for homeowners.

(By way of an example, here's a fairly recent link to a past topic quoting £14k to have a pavement cover relocated for a dropped kerb)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/CATV-cover-information-fro-dropped-kerb/m...

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also post a photo of the drive entrance/kerb/street... it will help reveal whether the driveway was "opened up" after the box had been installed.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there was a ‘dropped kerb’ before the box was installed, VM would never have installed it there. The local council would never have put in a ‘dropped kerb’ with a VM box in the way. I think it’s your problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi unfortunately you chose to move to the property with the box already in situ.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per above. The box is on a service strip which is council property & VM have a permit to put it there. Neither the council nor VM will have any interest in moving it as it will have been installed prior to the driveway being put in. Most cable infrastructure is over 30 years old. In making a decision to buy the property, the assumption is made that you have accepted any obvious access issues the property has.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks