Menu
Shaunsutton1992
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Equifax Closed Account

Hi guys, 

I’ve recently been trying to build my credit score up with ClearScore. I decided to check my closed accounts and I have a virgin media account with a outstanding bill of £131 with them from two years ago which I wasn’t aware of.. I was made aware that another person a few years ago was using my name on the bill. Is it possible to pay the bill and get it removed from my account? I’ve contacted Equifax and they can’t remove it without virgin media’s request. 

Any help will be great! 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Equifax Closed Account

using your name fraudulently? or with your permission?
if the debt is from 2 years ago it's most likely been sold on to a debt collection agency.

surely equifax can advise you who the oustanding amount need re-paid to?
i suppose you could try calling the billing dept at virgin.

0 Kudos
Shaunsutton1992
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I found out someone in my household was using it, underneath part of my name.. not my full name.

equifax has advised to contact virgin media.. but I figured there needs to be a account number etc .. which I don’t have! 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you may have an argument that you were the victim of fraud then and as such the debt is not yours.
why would you pay a debt that isn't yours?

if it wasn't your full name then not sure how the debt could be assigned to you.
might be worth clarifying with equifax about that.
0 Kudos
Shaunsutton1992
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think the debt is my mothers but used my name. Thats why I would pay the debt.. I will argue the case but for now I can’t get though to billing as such to maybe pay it or get it removed.. the account is nearly two years old as far as I’m aware according to ClearScore 

0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your best bet is speaking to customer care and asking them to contact the fraud team - that way they can remove the entry against your name altogether. Otherwise just paying will improve your score a little, but will only show as paid, the default on your file will remain and affect your rating for up to 6 years from the date it was registered.

0 Kudos