cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early cancellations

Rusty8899
Joining in

Hi can anyone advise me please 

I have just taken out a new virgin contract with max it tv broadband home phone and An o2 mobile 

we are planning to move shortly and have just found out that virgin services are not available where we are moving to 

I have a minimum 18 month contract 

what will I be charged In cancellation fees?

sny help appreciated 

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Early termination charges are set out at https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees and are capped at £288.

If you're still within your 14days cooling-off period, that will be a cheaper way to cancel.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Rusty8899 

Providing the new home is within the UK and you can produce proof that VM  can't provide the services there then the early termination fees should be waived.   

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/virgin-media-o2-ends-charges-for-off-net-home-movers/ 

VM are supposed to take any outstanding payment when  the final bill is produced and then refund the monies providing you send the accepted documents showing your new address  (bank statement, driving licence, insurance policy, mortgage information, rental agreement or utility bill) within 30 days of the account closing. The Home Move team should provide  you with the contact details

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Providing the new home is within the UK and you can produce proof that VM  can't provide the services there then the early termination fees should be waived.   

They'd only be waived if the customer gets VM the proof of new address in time for a credit to be raised on the account for the final month's billing cycle (see VM text below).  In practice many people have more important things to worry about when moving house, and the consequence is that customers in this situation often still have to pay the fat end of three hundred quid as an early termination charge (at a time they can probably ill afford it) and then when VM get the evidence and process it, the company credit that back to the account.  Then, after the account is closed VM will raise a cheque to pay back the remaining credit balance, but that takes them about 45 days as I recall.

It's vastly better than the "no exceptions" termination fees that VM used to have, on the other hand it's a typically dysfunctional and poorly designed Virgin Media process.

Virgin Media's exact words on this matter:

If you’re moving outside our network area but still within the UK and give us some valid evidence of your new address, we’ll credit you back the early disconnection fee. When submitting your disconnection request, our team will explain the next steps and you’ll get a request for valid proof of your new UK address. If we get this back within 30 days and it’s validated, we’ll apply a credit to the value of your early disconnection fee to your account. If you’ve already been billed for your early disconnection fee before we apply the credit, we’ll still apply the credit to your account. As per paragraph N.11 of our terms and conditions, if there’s any credit remaining on your account after we’ve made the deductions, we’ll get in touch with you to refund you the remaining credit unless our costs to administer that refund outweigh the actual account balance. If that’s the case, we’ll donate the account balance to charity. If, at the point of sale, you think you might move outside the Virgin Media network area before the end of your minimum period, one of our 30-day rolling contracts might be better for you.