Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Virgin have outage protection?

Nomwisegangy
Joining in

Hi All,

Not sure which board to post this on.

I'm currently with BT and our area has just been connected to Virgin Media.

The only reason i'm with them is because I have their Halo product which activates a 5G mobile wireless hotspot if the internet drops out (which over the last 2 years has only happened 2 times). 

Thing is I work from home in the IT sector and could do with the gigabyte connection that Virgin offers, however, it needs to be reliable so I was wondering if Virgin offer something similar.

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Nomwisegangy wrote:

Hi All,

Not sure which board to post this on.

I'm currently with BT and our area has just been connected to Virgin Media.

The only reason i'm with them is because I have their Halo product which activates a 5G mobile wireless hotspot if the internet drops out (which over the last 2 years has only happened 2 times). 

Thing is I work from home in the IT sector and could do with the gigabyte connection that Virgin offers, however, it needs to be reliable so I was wondering if Virgin offer something similar.

A VM equivalent to Halo is not something I recall seeing mentioned on the forums.

A past help page describes a 'Backup hub' (page may be out of date/obsolete)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/back-up-hub

but this looks like nothing more than a hotspot you can plug in if your main connection drops (rather than an automatic setup)

Some regulars on the 'Networking and Wifi' forum have created their own fail-over setups by putting the VM hub into modem mode and using their own equipment to achieve this. As VM uses its own network some have a fail-over to a mobile connection and some to a separate Openreach connection.

A recent discussion is here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/4G-5G-cellular-backup-for-Virgin-Media-Supe...

You'll probably get the best answers on setup in the 'Networking and Wifi' forum.

I work in the technology sector too. 

For standby systems, power and telecoms is worth a thought.

In using VM internet since  2017 we have had far more random power cuts than VM outages.
The hot spot of a mobile has always been the standby approach, assuming the laptop holds up
and your not working in the darkness of a winter's night !

It is worth considering many office VPNs do not support traffic at rates that are close to 1Gb/s
and those that provide remote or virtual desktops use surprisingly low amounts of bandwidth.

If you have to WFH you use your laptop's mobile internet or a MiFi router with a data-only SIM card to create a WiFi hotspot. I have a big Ring jump starter which I keep charged and I use it for recharging my mobile devices as it has a 3-pin socket.

As for lighting: I have candles but some garden solar lights or battery-powered LED lights might be better.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection