cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract extended without my permission/knowledge

Hounds
On our wavelength

After talking to Customer Service Colleague this morning about thinking about leaving I was advised that as my contract was not finishing till May19th I should phone up on the 19th April to see what could be offer in relation to a better deal.

One of my concerns was the upcoming charge of the £12.00 increase and new packages for new customers much less with than the same package I was paying for, however I was told the £12 could be discounted on my next bill so I agreed to this and aging told to phone back on April 19th to see what discounts re packages, however when I received the email confirming the situation I now find it’s now states your new package now includes a Broadband Discount and now find the contract seems to end Friday 27th September, which now means I would loose my right to cancel without paying any cancellation fees which I had up to the 17th April as they have now extended it without making clear by giving me the discount of the £12 is a change of package, which I find very misleading and underhand.

Can this be cancelled under the 14days cooling off period under the distant selling regulation?

4 REPLIES 4

Hounds
On our wavelength

After talking to Customer Service Colleague this morning about thinking about leaving I was advised that as my contract was not finishing till May19th I should phone up on the 19th April to see what could be offer in relation to a better deal.

One of my concerns was the upcoming charge of the £12.00 increase and new packages for new customers much less than the same package I was paying for, however I was told the £12 could be discounted on my next bill so I agreed to this and again told to phone back on April 19th to see what discounts re packages, however when I received the email confirming the situation I now find it’s now states your new package now includes a Broadband Discount and now find the contract seems to end Friday 27th September, which now means I would loose my right to cancel without paying any cancellation fees which I had up to the 17th April, as they have now extended it without making clear by giving me the discount of the £12 is a change of package, which I find very misleading and underhand.

Can this be cancelled under the 14days cooling off period under the distant selling regulation?

Buffer6
Legend

Under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, consumers have a cooling-off period of 14 days from the date the contract was entered into, during which they can cancel the contract without giving any reason and without penalty.

If your contract was entered into through a distance contract (e.g. online, by phone), you have the right to cancel within the cooling-off period. However, it is important to note that this right does not apply if you have already started to use the services provided under the contract.

In your case, if you have not yet started to use the services under the new contract, you may be able to cancel it within the cooling-off period. It would be advisable to contact the service provider to clarify the terms of the new contract and the cancellation options available to you.

It is also worth noting that any changes made to the contract by the service provider, such as extending the contract end date or changing the package, should be clearly communicated to you and should not be misleading or deceptive. If you feel that the service provider has not acted fairly or transparently, you may wish to seek advice from a legal professional or consumer rights organization.

Hounds
On our wavelength

Thank you for your response and helpful context, I have been advised now by virgin that the contract has not been extended but the September date is when current discounts finishes! I still don’t see how they can show an extended date for discounts when my contract finishes in May I will see what happens when I phone up in April!  

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media contracts do not have a fixed end date they have a minimum contract period after which they become 30 day rolling contracts.  It is perfectly possible to have a discount applied that runs for a longer period than the minimum contract period.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks