cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant unwanted marketing calls

Shaddy
On our wavelength

I am being bombarded by marketing calls. I have stated on every call that I am not interested and please do not call again. I have even tried blocking the number but found anonymous voice mails, which seems to be the same to be linked to this. When I unblocked the number I received several more calls. All of the call handlers were told that I was not interest but it keeps happening. 
Please can someone put a stop to this.  Morning, afternoon and into the evening the my mobile phone is ringing. It is excessive and makes me want to leave Virgin Media.

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Shaddy 

It's possible they may be scam calls and not VM, however if you want to stop VM marketting calls then do the following:-

If you sign into https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/my-preferences  you can turn off marketing from VM.

If you also have a mobile with VM you would also have to turn of the marketing there by logging into https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/login 

This doesn't stop VM sending literature by post to the householder.

Please note it can take up to 28 days to take effect .

Also there are no separate options to turn off telephone, post, text messages, tv edit magazine etc individually, so all forms of marketing will be stopped.

If you still want to read the tv edit magazine then save <<< this bookmark >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Shaddy
On our wavelength

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. If only I could just isolate the nuisance calling. I don’t mind marketing, it’s the constant phone calls I really don’t enjoy. Saying no, politely, should be sufficient to stop this. As all calls are recorded this should be sufficient evidence of my wishes not to be pestered. It’s leaving a bad taste in the mouth. I like the tv edit and have followed your advice to bookmark the link.  Thanks for that top tip.  I just need to remember to look at it more often 😂😂

I'm also being bombarded by phone calls morning, noon and night fay in and day out because virgin mobile want me to 'upgrade' even though I still have 10 months left on my contract. I don't want to upgrade until my contract expires because otherwise I end up paying for a new phone but also paying off the contract on my old phone which makes no financial sense!! Eventually I answered and told them I'd no intention of upgrading until my current contract has finished but they absolutely won't take no for an answer and came up with every reason under the sun why I should do it now! I'm furious quite honestly and am probably now going to change provider. I've blocked the calls but they somehow get through to my voicemail and my phone is now permanently showing a voicemail notification even though there are no messages - I don't seem able to clear it and there is no facility to be able to turn off voicemail notifications or even to turn off marketing (via the virgin mobile site). 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ali2017 wrote:

I'm also being bombarded by phone calls morning, noon and night fay in and day out because virgin mobile want me to 'upgrade' even though I still have 10 months left on my contract. I don't want to upgrade until my contract expires because otherwise I end up paying for a new phone but also paying off the contract on my old phone which makes no financial sense!! Eventually I answered and told them I'd no intention of upgrading until my current contract has finished but they absolutely won't take no for an answer and came up with every reason under the sun why I should do it now! I'm furious quite honestly and am probably now going to change provider. I've blocked the calls but they somehow get through to my voicemail and my phone is now permanently showing a voicemail notification even though there are no messages - I don't seem able to clear it and there is no facility to be able to turn off voicemail notifications or even to turn off marketing (via the virgin mobile site). 

If you have turned off marketing from VM, and you have told the callers to stop phoning you, then you should report the unwanted live sales calls to the ICO

https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/

MrMcD01
Joining in
  • I too am being bombarded with calls, many per day, every day. I tell the marketers that I am not interested, but that makes no difference, still they call. I am not even registered with Virgin Media, have nothing to do with Virgin Media and after so many annoying calls, will never have anything to do with Virgin Media. I am on the verge of contacting the police about these nuisance calls upsetting my life.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MrMcD01 wrote:
  • I too am being bombarded with calls, many per day, every day. I tell the marketers that I am not interested, but that makes no difference, still they call. I am not even registered with Virgin Media, have nothing to do with Virgin Media and after so many annoying calls, will never have anything to do with Virgin Media. I am on the verge of contacting the police about these nuisance calls upsetting my life.

Are you registered with TPS to reject marketing calls from legitimate companies? Are you also ex-directory with your phone provider?

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

You may well be also getting scam calls pretending to be different organisations. Needless to say TPS registration will be of no use against scammers. I have used this device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

in the past to screen out unwanted calls which it did 100% effectively. Some BT phones have a simplified version of trueCall built in and at lower cost than the standalone unit.

Thank you for the tips, unfortunately these calls are to my mobile phone, I don't have a land-line. When these calls come in they are from mobile numbers registered as far apart as: Aberdeen, Cardiff, Brighton and all points in between. I've tried blocking them, but they seem to have access to an awful lot of phones and either Virgin Media hire a lot of telemarketers with strong Indian accents and English names, or this is a huge scam. It must be working on some people for them to keep it going  on such a large scale. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MrMcD01 wrote:

Thank you for the tips, unfortunately these calls are to my mobile phone, I don't have a land-line. When these calls come in they are from mobile numbers registered as far apart as: Aberdeen, Cardiff, Brighton and all points in between. I've tried blocking them, but they seem to have access to an awful lot of phones and either Virgin Media hire a lot of telemarketers with strong Indian accents and English names, or this is a huge scam. It must be working on some people for them to keep it going  on such a large scale. 

If the calls were actually coming from VM, and you have no connection with VM, you can still register your mobile no. with TPS to stop unwanted marketing from legitimate companies.

Not sure how you are matching geographical locations to incoming mobile numbers but if other random area codes are seemingly coming from all areas of the country, and claiming to be VM, then these would be scam calls. The caller ID you see is likely to be faked (either it does not exist or may have been stolen from an innocent party and used as a fake caller ID)

It is possible to get mobile phone apps which can identify scam calls (generally based on large databases of known scam numbers). No experience of these myself so don't know how well they work. Some mobiles allow you to silence calls from unknown numbers and direct to voicemail.

Simplest thing to do is if you don't know the number coming in, don't answer immediately. Let it go to voicemail.

Scam callers rely heavily on automated dialling to place their calls. If you keep answering every time they call, you number will be identified as responsive so they will keep dialling you.