cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract

Murfy
Just joined

I want to cancel my contract. It was up last month after 18 months. When signing up I was told I would pay£35 pm after the initial 18 months, however, I now see my next bill is set to be £44! This is not what I agreed too and will be leaving virgin. I wish to end this relationship as simply as we began it and I do not have time to be sending a dear John to an address that may or (knowing greedy corporations as I do) may not be the correct one. I will not pay a premium rate to call you either and hope most customers would tell you where to get off with your underhanded practices. I do not have a virgin phone so, my question, how do I contact virgin by phone without paying a premium call or writing? Where is your "CUSTOMER SERVICE" number? I am about to cancel my DD so you will not be getting paid what you allege is owed. 

11 REPLIES 11

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I think you'll find that the contract you agreed to allows VM to change prices as and when they see fit, and the exact words are "-  Also, please note that whilst we will have told you the standard monthly price at the time you entered the agreement, you will pay the current price at the end of the minimum period, so the price may have increased during your minimum period. Please check on the Virgin Media website or call us on 150 from a VM landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone for the updated pricing."

Regardless of that, you don't like the proposed price and want to cancel, and that's fair enough.  Now, don't cancel the direct debit unless you want to be hounded, and have your credit score skidded-up.  Your choice, but I assure you that cancelling a DD without having properly cancelled a contract puts you in the wrong, and will cause VM no difficulty, but cause you plenty. 

There is a postal option and a valid address if you want to reconsider your objection to cancelling by letter.  If doing this make sure you use a service that records delivery and allow for the post time and remember you're only starting 30 days notice when they receive the letter.

The 0345 phone number is not premium rate, and would normally be within inclusive minutes on a mobile contract or landline bundle, if not should be local charge rate.  Having said that, customer experience of phoning VM is highly variable - some people report long waits, very poor service, and difficulty cancelling.  

Mitch21
Tuning in

You are not the only one having this problem. It seems Virgin is not interested in helping any of its customers.Try to key 150 on a virgin number and wish you the luck as last time I tried  I was kept on hold for at least 45minutes when I gave up. They kept saying too many exceptional calls and the wait will be long or call back as all the agent are busy.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Mitch21  and @Murfy 

There is also freephone number 0800 052 0422, options 1,1, 4 and 4 (thinking of leaving us) but best to call at 8am when lines first open and are least busy.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Many thanks and much appreciated. I will definitely make the call first thing tomorrow 

Hi Dave

Thanks again for the tel.number which as promised I rang  at 8.05 am this morning It took over 35 minutes waiting but ultimately got somebody on the line.It was an experience which is too familiar and after nearly 10 minutes of marketing "interrogation" ,I was transferred to another person and again at least another15 minutes of Interrogation if not more like an inquisition and high temper, the Virgin person ultimately got the message that I am service notice to leave Virgin Media and I am not changing my decision .

If Virgin people are monitoring this Forum, kindly do acknowledge and accept that as your customer,I am entitle to cancel my contract with you and to request that my telephone number  be released to another provider .

janetfx190
Joining in
make sure you get a e mail to confirm they have cancelled as i have just been hit with a bill close to 450 they agreed i called to cancel but they didnt do it so its my fault ....

@janetfx190 and I trust you have escalated this to the industry adjudicators, CISAS, and have claimed back all monies owed plus at least an extra 30% in compensation for distress, inconvenience and, well, general incompetence on VM’s part, yes?

no not yet vm will not give a dead lock letter...

@janetfx190 wrote:

no not yet vm will not give a dead lock letter...

And that’s OK, you only need to wait eight weeks after your initial complaint to take it to CISAS regardless, depending on the circumstances, don’t forget to include VM refusing to issue a Deadlock letter as a mitigating circumstance when requesting extra compensation won’t you!