Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable rework by building owner, who should pay?

as a new customer i dont see there will be any cost to you or the owner - if a repull needs doing than that will be done and costs taken care of by VM - from other posts on here by VM staff even if you had accidentally put a spade through the cable they would have sorted it FOC

am slightly puzzled that they have not attempted a temp repair - if the cable has been cut and both ends are there then they used or used to use a connection box to join it - supposed to be temp but i know of 2 that have been like that for years - done correctly its no different to connections in the cabinet

maybe they no longer use them - worth asking the install team if they will do a temp repair before the full repull

Tony
0 Kudos
chenks
Rising star
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

maybe the issue here is that it's a managed building, and the cabling inside the building is the remit of the building management?

OP said the cut cable was inside a locked room.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
maybe the issue here is that it's a managed building, and the cabling inside the building is the remit of the building management?

OP said the cut cable was inside a locked room.

hmmmm - and see that the Virgin media cable running outside my flat has been cut. - cannot see mention of cable being cut within a locked roome

even if it is on a new install they would [usually] sort it at no cost

as a question where is the mention of cost coming from - the OP is asking but have VM actually suggested there will be a cost or is the OP just nervous that there might be

imo and i state its only my opinion there will be no cost

plus i say again - [and see that the Virgin media cable running outside my flat has been cut].- if that is true then a temp fix with a gel box may well be possible

Tony
0 Kudos
chenks
Rising star
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

see post 3 (first reply from the OP)

"1. As it's only the owners who have access to that area where the cable was snipped"

maybe not a "locked room" which is an assumption i made, but certainly a restricted area with only the building management has access to.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

fair comment i missed that and was just seeing post 1 as the key info - we are sort of straying and there are certainly problems with access that the OP or the agent will have to resolve

but to the question of cost - i say again i dont think VM will charge

Tony
0 Kudos
chenks
Rising star
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

however, if they do then the charge will go to the OP as the contract is between Virgin and the OP, not between Virgin and the building owner.

if the OP is charged then it would be up to the OP to see if those costs can be recouped from the building owner themselves.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

As the OP's service has not yet been provided, any extra charges over and above what has already been agreed would entitle him to cancel without penalty.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Saifss
Tuning in
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate it. Let me clarify on a few things further you were discussing above.

I am sorry if I have not been clear but as I said in the my first post, a "temporary" cable line was installed on 3rd Jan from the street till the points where the cable was cut near the wall on the ground floor. The owner allowed it on the condition that when their conduete work is complete, it will have to be reconnected. My internet was up on 3rd Jan itself.

Also, this is the first where I am raising this topic to get an idea in such scenarios, haven't spoken with VM customer service about this, however when the engineer's manager and office management were discussing this, they said their visits cost 99£ and I will need to sort that out so yes I am just nervous about that impending rework cost. The past 3 weeks have been too much of a hassle spending hours (literally) on the calls to virgin media customer service sorting out the issue.

The area where the cable was cut is actually the back of the building, the access of which is through doors and shutters which we do not have the keys to. So if the office management guys who have a shop downstairs are not in, there is no way to access that area.

0 Kudos
chenks
Rising star
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

ok so you currently have a working connection.
you will be asking for the cabling to be moved at a later date.
this will result in a £99 charge for the work to be done.

you will need to pay that. whether you choose to try and recoup that off the building management is up to you.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
ok so you currently have a working connection.
you will be asking for the cabling to be moved at a later date.
this will result in a £99 charge for the work to be done.

you will need to pay that. whether you choose to try and recoup that off the building management is up to you.

i think you are jumping to conclusions - he is not asking for it to be moved or work to be done as far as i read - the management people may be with a common feed via a conduit but thats a matter between the management company and VM - he had a damaged cable - 'normal' practice is that VM repair them for free - in the same way as they replace equipment for free - the key is they own the network and all thats in it so they maintain it

if we followed you logic and a user damaged a part of the install - keep it simple - a power supply then VM would charge tor a replacement - they do not

the OP did not cut the cable that was needed for his install to work - he is not liable for the repair cost - i guess it could be argued that the owner of the building could be it it could be proved he had cut the cable but thats not going to happen

yes the tech is correct in saying that a non fault call out is £99 - this is/was not a non fault call out so [imo] there will be no charges - other than any agreed install cost - passed on to the OP

Tony
0 Kudos