cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable removed

Paski
Joining in

Hi, I’m leaving Virgin this month and would like the green virgin cable that is running along the bottom of my hedge and into my house and the boxes inside, removed. The cable covers a distance of about 15ft. and has been an eye sore since the day that it went in four years ago. I have no plans to install virgin in the future, so I’m not concerned about being told that the service is no longer available to me.

please advise,

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Removal of old VM cabling and wall boxes is a regular request.  Forum staff here can pass the request to the area manager, and sometimes they in turn will send somebody to remove the cabling and kit, but as a general rule they don't.  Once you've cancelled VM and the service has ended, the cable will have been disconnected at the cabinet, and since there's no enduring legal right for VM to leave their cables etc on your property without a complicated legal agreement (wayleave), you are at liberty to remove it all yourself, and there's no safety implications (a) because the cable should have been disconnected at the cabinet, and (b) even if they've not done that the voltages used for signal transmission are insignificant.

If you're unable (or unwilling as a matter of principle) to remove the cabling yourself, then you can stand on your legal rights and demand they remove it.  But it might take a while and formal complaints, even escalation to adjudication if the area manager chooses to ignore the matter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Removal of old VM cabling and wall boxes is a regular request.  Forum staff here can pass the request to the area manager, and sometimes they in turn will send somebody to remove the cabling and kit, but as a general rule they don't.  Once you've cancelled VM and the service has ended, the cable will have been disconnected at the cabinet, and since there's no enduring legal right for VM to leave their cables etc on your property without a complicated legal agreement (wayleave), you are at liberty to remove it all yourself, and there's no safety implications (a) because the cable should have been disconnected at the cabinet, and (b) even if they've not done that the voltages used for signal transmission are insignificant.

If you're unable (or unwilling as a matter of principle) to remove the cabling yourself, then you can stand on your legal rights and demand they remove it.  But it might take a while and formal complaints, even escalation to adjudication if the area manager chooses to ignore the matter.

Hi Andrew-G,

thank you for that. I’ll take control of the removal of the cable myself if this is the case. I don’t wish to go cap in hand to Virgin to beg for their help, if I can simply cut and bin, then the world will be a better place. Again, thank you for your prompt response Andrew-G.

take care,

Paski