cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNN no longer available after August 31st

ModTeam

Hello, 

Due to WarnerMedia’s plans to move to a subscription model for the CNN news channel, it will no longer be available on Virgin TV after 31 August. Customers can still watch and catch up on the latest news on major news channels such as BBC News, Sky News, Bloomberg and many others.

For more information on this channel closure, please click here.

Edit - Original thread moved to Chatter board

Many thanks, 

Community Mods

566 REPLIES 566

Hi Rosiedog1.

There's a LOT of chatter about CNN that might help, you can read & reply here:

CNN no longer available after August 31st 

Steve.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

That is all well and good! our area...not out in the sticks! does NOT have SKY cables....so we are stuck with VM...cannot be right

We are the losers!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cje85 wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

Nobody can force a broadcaster to go down a certain route. Providing services through apps & such saves millions now, not just in the cost of joining TV platforms, but the distribution links required to use them. Warner have renewed their contract for all the other channels they provide, but not CNN. They only remain on Sky for contractual reasons (they come to the end of a 5 year deal with Sky somewhere in the next 12 to 18 months).

The same happened with Horse & Country TV last year. The contract with Sky ended on December 31st 2019, but the channel continued broadcasting on Virgin until their 12 month contract ended in July 2020. The channel is now only available with their own standalone app or you can add it to Amazon Prime/Roku.

CNN is a free to air channel on Sky. Free to air channels don't have contracts with Sky. They are free to come and go as they please. They pay an EPG listing charge to Sky and that's it. Turner are obliged to provide their subscription channels including TCM and Cartoon Network, as they form part of a Sky subscription package, But there's nothing stopping Turner from removing CNN from Sky on 1st September. 

Instead, CNN are actively promoting Sky (along with their online subscription service) to viewers who complain about it being removed from Virgin/BT/Freesat. This claim of "it'll be removed from Sky soon!" seems to be one of those forum rumours with nothing backing it up. 

To remove themselves from Freesat the service must be encrypted, or people like me just tune manually & get it by the “back door”. This requires input from Sky to maintain access on their boxes so there is a contract, as there is covering Warner’s other channels. The quotes of removal from TV packages in favour of an app based service came from Warner’s own press releases, & Sky was specifically mentioned along with Virgin & BT. If they are using Sky’s Chilworth uplink this will also be part of an agreement.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rosiedog1 wrote:

Can you advise whether you will reinstate the CNN channel at some point soon? I notice that Sky will continue to air CNN. As I am a frequent viewer of CNN I will be seriously considering moving to Sky now. 

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/cnn-drops-virgin-media-and-freesat-in-online-push

The service will continue on Sky for the “foreseeable” future. So this could be ending at the time the CCN+ service launches.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The closure info page states that the CNN app will continue to be available to those that have the 360 box after 31st August.

It is unusual for this CNN news channel to be removed by warner/virgin  and become a premium paid for service, because like most free tv channels it has adverts which are used to fund the cannnel, but I suppose if it is american that does not work in the uk.

Will virgin eventually put CNN news as a paid for channel or app that can be included in the tv packages?

The fee seems to get this online from only CNN at $1.99 per month, so  that is not a huge cost if the channel was required.

As everything moves to apps, which save providers money, is this the end of live tv?

The "google play" android apps does not seem to offer CNN for the uk, just other countries  but there are usa  apps that cover CNN (streaming now for free  binden speech), the app is called -US news-USA breaking news usa live , click on CNN also has cbs news,sky news,usa today,fox news,nbc news,cnbc,c-span,abc news,bbc news,msnbc news,nasa, trt world, (spoilt for choise here 14 news feeds). An adroid device tablet or phone needed, but apps may work on iphone I presume.I have a samsung tablet and can therfore still get CNN for free at the moment with a few clicks.

Is the CNN london office closing or remaining open?

I note that the virgin removal notice for 31/8/21 CNN news channel  removal is not now showing  on channel 607?

How much does CNN GO cost? | PopularAsk.net - Your Daily Dose of Knowledge

alf28

"Is the CNN London office closing or remaining open?"

No Confirmation of that, yet.

TV NEWS CHANNELS  etc by - popularity- BY YOU GOV POLL

see The most popular TV channels in the UK | Media | YouGov Ratings

CNN NEWS 22%

BBC NEWS 57%

SKY NEWS 50%

SKY SPORTS 43%

AL JAZEERA 17%

EURONEWS 14%

Obviously the BBC news  is top but the other news channels are popular too, with american channel CNN on 22% rating by brits.

alf28

Al Jazeera is actually a very good channel.

I often watch Al Jazeera  myself on the app, it covers a wide range of news world wide and interesting subjects.

I hope this news channel and the app  remains and is not removed. The channel is available on the normal epg guide (electronic programme guide) channel number 622 ALAZ ENG. The app has the options live,programmes,newsclips and headlines. It also covers the latest news in Afganistan- watching now the latest drone strike has just happened.

alf28