cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNN no longer available after August 31st

ModTeam

Hello, 

Due to WarnerMedia’s plans to move to a subscription model for the CNN news channel, it will no longer be available on Virgin TV after 31 August. Customers can still watch and catch up on the latest news on major news channels such as BBC News, Sky News, Bloomberg and many others.

For more information on this channel closure, please click here.

Edit - Original thread moved to Chatter board

Many thanks, 

Community Mods

566 REPLIES 566

Due to WarnerMedia’s plans to move to a subscription model for the CNN news channel, it will no longer be available on Virgin TV after 31 August.

So is this subscription cost so huge that Virgin cannot absorb it?  I pay around £750 per year for Virgin's services & I'm sure there are others who pay more.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GrahamLondon wrote:

If you Watch CNN Now

its on now Early Start  is the USA studio

Overnight it is all the Regulars

USA feed is great - You learn faster.

CNN HD on SkyHD

Virgin  owned by Liberty Global  in utter confusion.

If you are watching on Sky you are watching CNN International not CNNs domestic service, which is not licenced by OFCOM for broadcast in the UK.

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/html/tv/cs/tlcs000103ba1cnninternational.htm 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TreZx0
Joining in

Hi does anyone know if recordings of CNN on a TIVO box can still be viewed after the channel leaves? 

TDV
On our wavelength

Hi I’ve just seen a note on my CNN channel that it won’t be available on Virgin media after 31st August 

This is damn nonsense if it’s still available to Sky Contract holders then Virgin should still have it My Brother lives in a 3rd world country and he can watch CNN after 31st If Virgin want to stay competitive and keep their subscribers they must carry on with CNN on their choice of channels . CNN is a mainstay 

Really cross 

What can we collectively do in the community to make sure CNN stays 

Any suggestions? 

@TreZx0 wrote:

Hi does anyone know if recordings of CNN on a TIVO box can still be viewed after the channel leaves? 

There isn't a simple answer as it may depend on the carriage agreement that VM has with the channel provider. Athough some recordings have been available for several months after a channel closes it's wise to view them ASAP as they will disappear one day without notice.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Yes it maybe CNN International

But today we get USA Live Feed

they do not need the UK office for Biden Debates, much

CNN news - now becomes  a subscribed service

I have looked on my sky now steaming box and CNN is not available, needs hulu which is a subscription channel in the USA. (needs a VPN) or subscribe to hula/sky tv on the sky now box (need a purchase £9.99 per month)

There are alternative news channels from UK channels (bbc 601,sky 603, gbnews 626) still available on virgin such  622 Aljaz Eng, euronews 620, 624 f24Eng, or the app  Al Jazeera.

Also CNN will be  removed from freestat and was never on freeview.

I think I can manage without CNN, and would not wish to pay for this anyway.

There are  now  good free TV apps such as the Roku app on my now box (all free films and tv series) and  stv app-older tv series, as well as tune in -which has a "radio version" of CNN international, but not sure if that will remain?- I am  listening to it free now on my sky now box.

On The virgin radio line app, CNN news is still listed but the app will not play any more? and used to give a 2 minute CNN news update.

Virgin TV has some apps and I also have different apps on my sky now box with free films, and older tv series. The high cost of subscribed TV channels makes viewing costly, I  use netflix to get tv series no longer available on virgin media tv which have been removed and  then netflix also removed my show (which was disney) but I still watch  some canadian tv series on netflix which are not shown in the uk.

alf28

Did I say I'm also going to miss Christiane Amanpour's great interviews and all the rest of them?   They're all so good at what they do - informative, clear, thought-provoking, human, straightforward and not afraid to offer an opinion.   They're not just faces with fake smiles but nothing in their eyes.   

I've been watching the news since my parents bought the first tv in the neighbourhood when I was a little kid.   I'm older than dirt, by the way.   But we always watched the news together and discussed it over dinner in between the usual family-at-the-dinnertable arguments.    Grew up watching Walter Cronkite.  

Cronkite and those guys are icons and the crew we're losing as a resource are up to and beyond those early tv standards in the States and the UK.   

This is so distressing and sad and seems so arbitrary and utterly thoughtless.   

Hey all.

Sorry to hark on about this but I feel it's necessary ... While I don't pretend to understand the dynamics of finance, I do know petty money-grabbing when I see it ... If only for what is going on in Afghanistan, you would think that Virgin would pay to keep CNN on the air, if only for another month or even until the end of the year, so customers, some who will undoubtedly be relying on CNN's coverage, could have information coming their way when needed.

But I have to say: SHAME SHAME SHAME ON WARNER MEDIA !!!

I could well imagine that their daily profit alone, could keep CNN on the Virgin platform easily. Just to say: I'm English and have been rooted to CNN's coverage, so I have to feel for the American's in the UK and other places that are about to be cut off for no other reason than to make a few pounds/dollars, and in doing so will no doubt ensure enormous bonuses to their Senior Staff !!!

I saw that one member (Parasoles) mentioned how much they were spending to have Virgin, Well not wanting to outdo anyone but I'm paying over £1,200 per year, that is about to change, that, I can assure them.

Steve.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Thanks for your sensitivity and acknowledgement of the Americans living far from home who rely so much on CNN and are being cut off from a primary and vital information source.  It's the place we hear Presidential addresses,  live news about what's happening with the fires in the West, election returns, Supreme Court decisions about masks in schools, COVID rates in the states we come from and where our friends and families live.... 

It's scary that this can happen so fast and so uncaringly.       

Thanks for understanding, Steve.