cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNN no longer available after August 31st

ModTeam

Hello, 

Due to WarnerMedia’s plans to move to a subscription model for the CNN news channel, it will no longer be available on Virgin TV after 31 August. Customers can still watch and catch up on the latest news on major news channels such as BBC News, Sky News, Bloomberg and many others.

For more information on this channel closure, please click here.

Edit - Original thread moved to Chatter board

Many thanks, 

Community Mods

566 REPLIES 566

Polyanthus
On our wavelength

Many thanks for the information 🙂

Dear Mod.

it's all very well to say I'm sorry you don't like it and remind people of the forum etiquette .However when was the last time we saw an improvement of the offering from virgin media we get 5%+ price increases yearly but for a markedly inferior offe ring.

Now the removal of CNN and FX  might well be beyond virgin media control but simply shrugging your collective shoulders and saying sorry mate isn't going to do much for customer retention.

Offer new stuff that people want or customers will take their money elsewhere.

Reply from one of the Mod team:

"We know you're not happy with the news and it is out of our hands."

Kinda sums up Virgin's Customer Satisfaction Policy (if indeed they have one) 😡 

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

I agree that the crass comment from the moderator was not helpful in this situation.

I also accept that it is not necessarily Virgin's fault, however it still leaves us with the situation where a significant reason for subscribing to Virgin's service is being removed.

Other subscription services, such as Netflix are available through Virgin. Did Virgin consider this model with CNN? Did CNN say no? My point is there is no information.

If Virgin were able to supplement their minimal statement with information on their efforts to maintain the service that their customers are paying for, or failing that, adjust subscription charges appropriately, then maybe people wouldn't get quite so frustrated and angry with them.

Or you can switch to Sky which are keeping CNN and it’s in HD. You get Sky Atlantic and Netflix included so I think it’s a much better deal than Virgin may be for you now. 

https://advanced-television.com/2021/08/26/cnn-ending-freesat-bt-virgin-carriage/

Anna36
Tuning in

We have a Samsung smart TVs which is a couple of years old and found cnn is part of Samsung tv + which came with the tv.  If you go to the universal guide and search for cnn it came up.  Hope this helps someone 🙂

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you read the articles that were published months ago, Turner wants to move away from linear TV packages which cost them money. Apps & web access allow them to target customers directly & not through third parties as many other media companies are now doing.

Of all the pay TV platforms, Sky has the biggest reach (98% if UK compared to Virgins 40+%). So if Turner wants to reduce costs right now Freesat, VM & BT have far less customers, so pruning these would be pretty obvious. Turner also may have contractual commitments with Sky that prolong the service. We will have to see what happens when Turner throw the sub switch on the app, as its likely this will coincide with the service ceasing on Sky.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've just read a report on RXTV that CNN will be removed from Virgin Media and Freesat. However, Sky customers will continue to have access to CNN as part of their subscription

So is it the case that VM have dropped CNN or that CNN has dropped Virgin Media? I can see why they would come off Freesat as part of their strategy as it is a free-to-air platform, but Virgin Media is a subscription platform so it seems strange to me that CNN would choose to withdraw its channel from a one subscription platform whilst continuing to make it available on Sky, which is the UK's other main TV subscription platform.

Same here

The only channel I watch is CNN so it will be bye-bye Virgin.

Moving house soon and will not be taking Virgin with me.  I'm afraid I won't be funding any more of the Space Tours