Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Automatic compensation delayed provision

Hi people, 

Just joined not long, but having problems with getting someone to understand automatic compensation.  

On the ofcom official site, it states that if you do not go live on the agreed start date. You are automatically compensated. Called the customer service team, was told that due to the late delivery of a day, it was just something that happens, after raising a complaint, I was told that they had 48 hours to resolve. 

If it is delayed on the agreed date then it's delayed, there is no time frame given as grace to virgin.  

Nightmare.Screenshot_20190915-150240_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Automatic compensation delayed provision

20190915_151740.jpgOfficial ofcom guidelines

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There should be Automatic Compensation if the provider caused the delay.

If the delay was the result of third party actions (waiting for council permits to dig paths/roads etc) this is excluded

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

wez
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are you having a quick start?

If your delivery was a day late then yes I think you are entitled to the payment. But check the email etc to see if it shows it was expected by you is the same.

0 Kudos
atkins_paul
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I’m baffled & to be honest lost all faith completely in Virgin. It has been posted here that the automatic compensation has exceptions, yet I am unable to see any clear reference to this on either Virgin’s Auto Comp page, nor Ofcom’s page on the subject.

At the end of my tether with this, having being completely stitched up by Virgin, who need to ensure their staff are also aware of any exceptions to this scheme, having being told twice I would be entitled, despite me querying the length of delay (53 days without broadband or phone) and asking if there was a maximum cap (supposedly not, yet a complaints supervisor has told me maximum compensation they can offer is £20!!)

But, “we haven’t charged you for the 53 days you’ve not had service”...how very benevolent of you, Virgin. Thankfully I’ll be able to leave on 27th December (having been classed as a continuing customer to try and charge me contract buyout but yet class me as a new customer when it comes to installation compensation). For the record I was previously a Virgin customer & moved house on 6th August - however, installation wasn’t completed at new property until 28th September due to “construction work” (their terminology) being required.

Automatic is clearly not automatic here...neither does the compensation match what they have signed up to with Ofcom. It is merely a pretence...

Never known a company be so deceitful & devious - extremely disappointed in them.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi atkins_paul,

Thank you for your post. I'm truly sorry to hear about what has gone on.

Do you know if a complaint was raised during this process? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
atkins_paul
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply - I did put an official complaint in and the resolutions team took ages and  contacted me a week after the connection was sorted - at that point I was relieved the installation was done & I had no reason to suspect I would be denied the automatic compensation, so was happy to class the case as resolved.

Just to put the issue into context, I took Virgin broadband at my old address last November. Was very happy with the service, no problems.

When I enquired about availability at the new property I was moving to on August 6th,I was told that the street was cabled & there’d just be a £20 fee for installation in the house.

However, unbeknown to me, when the street had been cabled in Sept 2018 (according to my neighbours), there had been a cable issue up the road and because it required digging up to sort it, they simply couldn’t be bothered, so my neighbours were left waiting for 3-4 months before being told they couldn’t have Virgin & the fault couldn’t be fixed (my neighbour is very angry at this & the fact it has now been fixed...but that’s a different complaint from her).

Anyway, on the installation date the engineers went through all the process installing the box at my house, only to find there was indeed a major fault up the road.

A few weeks later (on a second installation date of 28th Sept) a second set of engineers arrived, only to find fault had not been fixed.

On 4 separate occasions (2 customer service phone calls & 2 engineer chats) I asked about the auto comp scheme and was told there was no reason I wouldn’t be eligible.

I’ve been informed at my latest contact with a supervisor that the matter has gone to deadlock letter (since I refused to accept the insultory offer of £20 comp) & I have had no option but to take the matter up with Cisas and have written a letter to the complaints department in Sunderland, requesting transcripts of communications between us.

To me, the fact that Virgin knew previously of the fault and had made no previous attempts over the year to resolve it is damning. To then declare no fault of their own regarding delay for obtaining permits is inexcusable. Surely, since they knew about the fault at the time, I should have been offered the option of cancelling my contract & not going ahead with the installation. However, this was not the case, and instead I was strung along with the false hope of reasonable compensation.

Sorry for the long reply, but just wanted to put my previous rant in context. I was very upset when I came off the phone and I’m usually a very patient/placid person, but this has really put me on the edge.

best wishes,

paul.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for elaborating on what happened Paul. It's disappointing to hear you've had such a bad experience and I don't blame you for feeling so frustrated about it. 

Unfortunately as the case has been put to deadlock and raised with CISAS we wouldn't be able to intervene at this stage - apologies. However I'm confident that they will ensure a suitable resolution is provided - please keep us posted with the outcome of this if you can, or let us know if there's anything else we may be able to assist with in the meantime.

Tom 

0 Kudos