Menu
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Andruser's boring thread for people with too much time on their hands

Well, after the various disputes, disagreement and spats in a few threads in the Help sections, I have taken Ravenstar up on the suggestion of creating a thread to deal with the issues raised.  I'll point out that I'm doing this as a social service to those who disagree, so they can vent their spleen and disagreements here, not because I particularly expect any resolution.

There appear to be three main issues exercising the minds of the disputants:

1) The purpose of the Help forum, what is and is not an acceptable solution to customers experiencing problems, where the resolution may or may not involve changing ISP.

My view: If a customer brings a problem to the forum seeking help, there's two types of problem: A closed end problem where there is a single technical or customer service resolution.  An example of this would be wifi devices struggling with the common naming of 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands, but no problems of cable quality or signal strength.  In that case, there's no point coming in with suggestions of WAPs, modem-mode and thrid party routers, complaining to VM or CISAS, or changing ISP.  Other problems can have multiple resolutions, and Multipc's problem is a fine example - we suggested all we could, it still hasn't produced a result, so all options remain possible, and within that switching ISP, or taking on a new ISP connection remain viable options.  If anybody doesn't like that, I don't care.

2) Whether making an evidence based suggestion on which other ISPs to consider to VM customer who are, or perhaps should consider alternative ISPs is unreasonable.  

My view: Yeah, my suggestions of a selected range of small ISPs may seem like a broken record to regulars, but if that's your view and it is causing you sufficient distress to moan about it, then I'll invite you to go get yourself the life you prefer by doing something different with your time.  I'd guesstimate that 95% of the problems brought to this forum have both been reported before by other users, and have repetitive solutions (like the mediocre wifi of the Hub 3, or SNR issues), so repetition of suggestions and solutions IS THE NORM here.  Indeed, some of the most helpful regulars demonstrate remarkable resilience and patience in constructively responding to help requests that we've all seen so many times that I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking "not that again, I'll pass on making a suggestion".  Perhaps those who don't like this or any other suggested courses of action in response to a request for help should ask themselves "Is my reply in this thread going to help the original poster, or am I just doing it to massage my own ego?".

3) Why I don't follow my own recommendations.

Clearly the people whining because I haven't stuffed off to AAISP or Zen Internet have a problem.  And they may not realise it, but their problem is a complete failure to understand that this is a help forum, and making a suggestion to solve somebody else's problem doesn't mean the suggestor has the need to do the same. Do you raise a complaint with CISAS about poor service if you had to recommend that course of action to another VM customer?  Of course you **bleep** don't.  In my case, IF I GET TO THE POINT OF SWITCHING ISP it will certainly be one of the smaller ISPs that I've mentioned.  Whether you look on Reviewcentre, Reviews.co.uk, ISPreview, Trustpilot, Which?, it is the same story - big ISPs all use the "bait and switch" business model and back off the costs of baiting by cutting customer service and tech support.  

But for the time being, I'm at a point of toleration with VM - the reliability is adequate, the line quality and speed are decent, my discounted price is bearable but unimpressive, the speed I have is way more than the household needs, although I hanker for a minimum of 100 Mbps (rather above the 68 I'd get from Openreach), and I very rarely have the misfortune of having to deal with the low quality, under-resourced offshore call centres that VM choose to use.  And in addition, there's a cost to switching that I'd need the new ISP to get an Openreach line provisioned, adding some modest cost and risk, and I've used the same ISP email address for over 25 years, and over the next year or so that's not a good time for me to change unless provoked.  I do have a threshold at which I would call time on VM, either on cost, reliability or line quality, but that's got stuff all to do with making suggestions to other customers looking to sort out problems.  Anybody that can't understand this should consider whether they are in any good place to advise other people on anything.

Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Andruser's boring thread for people with too much time on their hands

@ Mods, your constructive edit and PM comments noted and understood.

Regards

chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

seems to me that this thread is a thinly veiled personal attack against certain members of the forum.
one would have thought that was against the forum "rules"?
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You have summed up your own post, long winded dross.