Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

2 calls in 3 days about internet is not secure.....BT

I have has a few calls saying that some traffic on my router is slowing it down or something like that and said the protection is not that secure, these were from a person saying BT Openreach and i said im not on BT she said I'm going through a BT network/line if im on Virgin which i have been with for a good 16 years plus.

I have the 2 numbers and i have rung Virgin 150 and told them, and they said a scam, they wanted my password to check the router out so i said i have spoken to Virgin last week (Saturday) which i did and she hung up as my speed on router is A1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 calls in 3 days about internet is not secure.....BT

BT & Virgin have totally seperate networks, which is the obvious red flag that this is a scam. It is also quite a common one. These guys use spoofed numbers to look like they are calling from the UK.

If your caller ID shows the incoming call as “INTERNATIONAL” & then a UK number, this is another dead giveaway. If I see it I just let the answerphone kick in. They never leave messages.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,i did think that being when the both calls said I'm going through BT which I'm not.

Also, i have call block phone in with the v5000 call blocker which together helps a lot but giving out a normal number on both times i just block,i could turn on the phone where you have to give details before they get through as there are 4 setting on the phone but i like it open only blocking 100%international calls as its set on as i need people to contact as a carer at home so i don't want to block unless i hear or see it.

Can't these be had for this being stating BT so using a firms name as it gives BT a bad name.

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you saw the programme on the BBC Panarama this month, these calls are originating from call centres in India, not the UK. The UK authorities can do nothing about them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fzx2/panorama-spying-on-the-scammers 

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/What-are-you-watching-now/td-p/2914384/page/45... 

If you can't be bothered with the Panorama/BBC iPlayer sign up faff the source can be found on the above link, "Spying on the scammers".  The Panorama segment is also there.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos