Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting prepared to update to iOS8

MrJimMeadows
Community Manager (Retired)

virginmedia-logo-head.png

It's here!

iOS 8, the biggest iOS release ever, is now available.

If you've not yet upgraded your iOS device - there's no time like the present. 

Here are our tips to make sure you stay ahead of the crowd: 

Make sure your device is compatible

You may assume your current OS device will run on the new software but beware, iOS 8 drops support for the iPhone 4. 

It will support iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPad 2, 3rd and 4th-generation iPad, iPad Air, 5th-generation iPod Touch, iPad Mini, and iPad Mini with Retina display.

And of course iPhone 6 comes preloaded – coming soon to Virgin Media on September 19th.

Free up storage space

iOS 7 was around 700MB. Assuming it’s similar in size, you’ll probably need to make sure you have 3GB of free space which gives the device enough space to carry out it’s install once the software update is complete. 

Apple will warn you before the update begins if you don't have enough space. But we reckon you’ll want to get iOS 8 on your device right away, so make sure you free up that space ahead of the rest!

Run the latest version of iOS 7

iOS devices usually require the latest version of the previous OS to update to the newest. This means if your iPhone is running iOS 7.0 it might not be upgradable to iOS 8. You’ll need to install the absolute latest iOS 7 (which is currently iOS 7.1.2) on your device. To make sure you’re running the latest version of iOS 7 on your device before you upgrade to iOS 8 go to Settings > General > Software Update.

Update your apps

Now is a great time to hit the Update All button in App Store. Developers around the world are frantically updating their apps to ensure they’re ready for all iOS8 has to offer. There may be little improvements that will help the transition or they might even have optimised apps in advance. You can check out our update to TV Anywhere, with a new look and feel. Which is available to download now ready for iOS8.  Meaning you won’t have to download more updates during the rush.

Back up your device 

We doubt anything would go wrong but always advise you back up your device before a major update,  just in case – you’ll know your data is safe. 

Pick the right time

Last year we saw a range of download times for the update and expect increased demand across the world. We recommend, where possible, the update is carried out off peak – when less people are online. Like after midnight, through to early morning. Making sure you’re relatively close to your hub will help speed things up too.

If you do manage to download iOS8 nice and early - we'd love to know your first impressions and welcome any other tips you'd like to share...

6 REPLIES 6

MrJimMeadows

Now it's available we've spotted iOS 8 is 920Mb in size - 200Mb bigger than iOS 7. 

Might be worth making double sure you've got the space on your device! 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The upgrade process tells you the free space it needs and doesn't allow you to initiate the download until you have the space.

The space requirement is a lot more than the 920MB. I'm sure it suggested I needed over 4GB.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Install it through itunes

Useful feature in the Health app is the ability to set up a Medical ID which includes

Name
DOB
Blood Type
Medical conditions
Organ Donor Status
Multiple Emergency Contacts
Allergies & Reactons
Notes
Weight
Height

This can be set to be available from the lock screen by Tapping Emergency, then Medical ID and calls can be initiated to those contacts listed.

I think its a useful feature but I suspect others will disagree.

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

They has already been a update to 8.01 due to some issues, but apple has pulled that 8.01 update due to people loosing network....not looking good for apple at the moment

8.0.1 was always on the cards due to the last minute pull of healthkit functionality. Seemed like the update only affected 6 and 6plus owners but definitely not good.

As for the bending.....