Menu
ggoodwin
Tuning in
Message 111 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Re: 0800 183 6408

Colin,     I agree that Virgin media need to review their approach and train their staff better.  Their cold-calling call-centre sales people sound very much like scammers and don't seem very clued up.   They have no idea how to verify themselves as genuine Virgin employees, and sound very poorly trained.

Also I agree with your advice not to give security info to them.   They made the call, they should be providing the security info to prove they are genuine and not scammers.

Don't think Richard Branson will have any view on their approach though, since Virgin Media has no connection to him!

0 Kudos
Godais
Settling in
Message 112 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri,

Great that you're able to answer the question of who is calling. But can you let us know why this person has rang me 14 times in the last 5 days and hangs up whenever I pick up the phone? I've asked on 150 to be taken off any marketing subscriptions at least 3 times this year and I still get these calls, mostly trying to bully me into a contract I do not want. How can I simply get you guys to go away?

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
aferris2
Joining in
Message 113 of 133
Flag for a moderator

I have started to get calls from them AGAIN. Last time (May 2017) they confirmed that I had been removed from all marketing calls. This was the same message as the previous time (October 2016) and the time before that (February 2016). But the calls continue!

I've had enough. I'm off.

0 Kudos
ggoodwin
Tuning in
Message 114 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Having been told not to make unprofessional unsolicited spam/scam calls what do Virgin do?

Simple, they wait a couple of months, change the phone number, and start again!!

At least I'm assuming it was Virgin who just spam/scam called me.... you never can tell.

Instead of the 0800 183 6408 number from a few months ago which I have saved into my phone as "do not answer" I got a call from 0800 183 6416 which I answered as I didn't recognise it.   The person on the other end speaking with a time delay in broken English (like a scammer) claimed to be from Virgin mobile and wanted to speak to the account holder. 

I said I didn't believe he was from Virgin.  He said he was.   I asked for the first and third letter of my password or my account number.  He said he didn't know them.  I pointed out that someone from Virgin would know them.   He just hung up.

So the question remains....   A scammer?  or the usual poorly trained Virgin mobile sales monkey? 

Ayway, I've got the new number logged now, so when they call tomorrow (as they doubtless will) I can just give them my best Liam Neeson impression of the Taken speech.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 115 of 133
Flag for a moderator

@ggoodwin - Were I working for Virgin Mobile, while I wouldn't say I didn't know the information, I certainly wouldn't answer your questions until I was sure I was talking to the right person.

Remember, while the agent knows who they SHOULD be speaking to, they have no direct evidence that you are indeed the account holder.  Therefore in order to satisfy the DPA, the agent is REQUIRED to verify your identity before confirming any information on your account, and that includes individual letters in passwords.

There's actually a post on this forum where an agent did do as was asked and confirm the customers account number BEFORE going through the DPA checks.  That customer then quite rightly complained that the agent shouldn't have done this, in other words they were damned either way.

I make outbound calls myself, although not for Virgin Media and not in a sales capacity.  Like the Virgin Media agents though, I am required to verify I am speaking with the correct person before continuing with the call.  If a person does not wish to answer our verification questions we will simply provide a contact number and end the call.

I do try and answer any question the person has, but again without verifying the persons identity, I can't answer any questions that might give too much information about the call away.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
ggoodwin
Tuning in
Message 116 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Oh Tim. You've missed the point on so many levels!

Firstly, having been specifically told NOT to make sales calls to me, they still continue to ignore this instruction. (if indeed today's caller really was from Virgin).

But regarding today, THEY called me. They knew who they had called. They were calling my Virgin mobile number.

Meanwhile I had no idea who this random person phoning me was. The onus clearly was on them to prove who they were. Something they were totally unable to do.

THEY didn't ask me for my password or account number. It was ME who asked them for it in order to prove they were who they claimed to be. However they were unable to do this and they hung up. The whole conversation on their part was very unprofessional and certainly made me suspicious that they were scammers on a phishing trip.

The advice from all security experts is never to give personal information to unsolicited callers. That is totally the advice I followed.
If you are suggesting that people should give password information to these unsolicited callers then that is very irresponsible of you.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 117 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile operates separately to Virgin Media in some regards.  While they should share information about sales preferences, it doesn't mean that they do.

But regarding today, THEY called me. They knew who they had called. They were calling my Virgin mobile number.

Yes they knew who they were calling, but how do they know who picked up?  It's irresponsible to assume that just because you've called someones mobile, you are speaking to that person without checking to be sure.

I would never advocate giving out your password on an "unsolicited call" if you doubt who the caller is.

However you can use the password check to verify if it is the right person when they do ask by giving out the WRONG password.  Genuine callers will know it's wrong and will not continue.

However the problem is that not all "unsolicited calls" are unwelcome.  Yes there are scammers out there, but there are also legitimate callers.  You can't always judge who is who by whether they speak in broken English either, as Virgin do use call centres in both India and the Philipines.

I'm going to ask that the @ModTeam revisit this thread, so they can look into just why Virgin Mobile are calling users who have opted out of sales calls, and also to check whether or not the call was genuine as all attempts to call you should be listed on your account whatever the outcome.

ggoodwin
Tuning in
Message 118 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Quote " However you can use the password check to verify if it is the right person when they do ask by giving out the WRONG password. Genuine callers will know it's wrong and will not continue."

I've never read such nonsense in all my life from a Virgin Mobile apologist.
It's so obvious that you are an employee trying to defend the indefensible.

Virgin Mobile's outsourced unsolicited sales department are a disgrace and can't be defended.
If THEY are making unsolicited calls, it's up to them to be able to prove they are genuine...instead they are so incompetent they sound like scammers.

It's time virgin got their house in order instead of just sending employees on here to give stupid advice like "Give the wrong password"
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 119 of 133
Flag for a moderator

I'm not a Virgin Employee, in fact I can and do berate them on here when they are in the wrong.  If read some of my previous posts you'd see that.

That doesn't mean I won't correct people's assumptions when they are wrong.

I've regularly had people ask me to prove who I am too.  Often the only way I can do this is to actually deliver my message, but the snag is that I can't do this without making sure that I am talking to the right person.  I actually had someone asking me twenty questions the other day to try and catch me out, as they to had been given the advice not to give information to "cold callers".

Except I wasn't cold calling, in fact when the person checked their correspondence, they found out that they were notified of our calls, they just hadn't read that part.

I suggest you ask the ICO what they think of your suggestion, that Virgin Media give out parts of your password on outbound calls to prove who they are.  Somehow I don't think they'd think that that would be satisfactory.

It's all very well saying "It's obvious who they're speaking to."  But put yourself in their shoes.  They're talking to someone on the other end of a phone line, in other words you're asking them to assume that the person who's answered the phone is the person they want to talk to.

The American military have a phrase.

"Assumption is the mother of all *beep* ups."

You'll also find a number of posts from me berating Virgin Media for the way their call centres work, especially given the misinformation they regularly give callers in order to get them off the line.

If you're going to call someone a Virgin "apologist" get your facts straight.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 120 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, @ravenstart68, for providing support to @ggoodwin regarding the unsolicited sales calls post and for flagging this to our Mods.

@ggoodwin, if you would like for the Forum Team to check that the marketing/sales opt out preference has been set on your account, I will need to take more information from you first. I will send you a private message requesting more information so that I can assist with this issue. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of this page.

Thanks,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos