Menu
hedles
Tuning in
Message 91 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Re: 0800 183 6408

@mansfieldweb

Since you ask, I am not trying to encourage VM to phone me.  I am attempting to help 'lubricate' communication between VM and their customers, to mutual advantage.  If you don't want VM to make sales calls to your phone, you can ask them not to do so.

I have, in the past, responded to sales calls from VM (having first checked the number is indeed VM's) and been offered and accepted 'upgrades' to my service that increased the broadband bandwidth and reduced the price of the service further and I've therefore been happy with the result of receiving their sales call.  

As a customer of VM for approaching a decade and having been (and currently being) a customer of other broadband suppliers for similar lengths of time, I am more than happy to remain with VM because

(1) the level of service and politeness I have experienced from their staff is comparatively no worse than and frequently considerably better than all the competition I have tried,

(2) they have consistently fixed any problems that were down to them and their equipment in reasonably short time periods,

(3) they've frequently helped me with problems that were down to me and with answers to technical questions without charge, 

(4) the prices I have been charged by VM have rarely been more than a 2%-3% higher and frequently 10% or more lower than all the competition I have tried for a comparative service,

(5) the level of 'aggression' of their sales staff is comparatively no more than and frequently much less than their competition I have tried (in fact, it difficult for me to conscientiously use the word "aggression" to describe it - whereas, I would use the word without reservation for some other comms suppliers).

Re: "I would NEVER EVER buy anything from an unsolicited call."

If you choose to adopt an immutably rule-based limiting approach to life that may not always be to your advantage, that is up to you.  I choose a more flexible approach.  If I am offered something unsolicited, I may be spurred into looking around to see if I could buy it more cheaply and/or more reliably and/or more politely/acceptably from some other supplier or than my current arrangement, or I may decide I don't need it at all, but, otherwise, if I am confident that I know enough about current market prices, I may decide to take up the offer right away.  Alternatively, if the call is not convenient for me I may just not answer - if I know from the number who it is who is calling me (hence my suggestion) - or, if the offer sounds interesting, I may ask if I can contact them at another time to discuss it.

If I continually receive unwanted sales calls from the same number (sometimes despite asking them to desist) I may simply block the number.  My approach gives me options.  Yours gives you none.   Ross Ashby's Law of Requisite Variety indicates that in order to deal properly with the diversity of problems the world throws at you, you need to have a repertoire of responses which is (at least) as nuanced as the problems you face <requisitevariety.co.uk/what-is-requisite-variety/>. Other interpretations of his principle sugggest that the element in a system with the most flexible behaviour will effectively take control of the system.

0 Kudos
mansfieldweb
Tuning in
Message 92 of 133
Flag for a moderator

@hedles

With respect my friend, you seem to have lots of spare time - the length of your posts signify that, maybe you don't mind being pestered by sales staff that barely speak English?

I however have little, hence the reason why I don't want the hassle of fighting off phone calls for services I already have. I've been a Virgin customer/NTL World customer/Diamond cable customer for a lot longer than 10 years.

Don't get me wrong, I love Virgin Media and the services they offer, I just don't appreciate incessant sales calls, neither from Virgin or elsewhere.

They have retail shops everywhere these days and pop up stands in shopping arcades - aren't these enough?

hedles
Tuning in
Message 93 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Yes, my cable connection goes back to the the days of NYNEX Cable & Wireless then NTL before Virgin, too.

I don't have any spare time.  I just have a personal policy that if I undertake to do anything, I do it fully and completely.  I doubt I'll ever make another post here after this.

I have rarely had any occasion to be dissatisfied with the Philippines-based Virgin customer services.  I usually find them very polite, chatty - if you want to be - and their English surprisingly good (if often with a US-sounding accent).

To me, you come across as very rude about a service you say you to love!!

Stamelos
Tuning in
Message 94 of 133
Flag for a moderator

What Virgin Media fail to understand is that firstly, having an overseas call centre means I cannot understand the accent and takes a lot of repeats to understand what is being said. Also, it's a non starter by telling me they want to "optimise my service". If it's not optimised already, then why not? Am I paying for a sub standard service!
jockb01
On our wavelength
Message 95 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't agree more.  I've had the same call, "promised" I would get on the new customer scheme if I called 150 to recontract, thus saving in the order of £300 per year.  As you said, the service desk was having none of it.  He's going to call back to see how I got on.  Well after careful consideration, I realise that I could save myself over £1000 per year and I'll live with freeview for a while.  TBH I'm sure I only watch because it's there, but at a huge cost. So essentially this guy made my decision for me, coupled with the intrnsigence of the service team.  I'm off.

Regards Jock B

0 Kudos
crispinchurch
Tuning in
Message 96 of 133
Flag for a moderator

called me the same way today
i kept telling them unless it was going to make my bill cheaper i did not want any 6 month offer
had to hang up in end pressure selling was on in it
0 Kudos
GreenLover
Joining in
Message 97 of 133
Flag for a moderator

I'm very annoyed to have received 10 phone calls from this number in a week! And no one leaves a message! And I don't even have a Virgin mobile account!

We have called this morning to complain. Spoke to three different people, asking to speak to the manager when they couldn't help us. Finally we were cut off by Darren. The people we spoke to do not know what the term 'cold call' is. Neither could they tell us why no one leaves a message. 

These calls must stop now. This number of calls amounts to harassment, and want £100 compensation. We will be complaining to Ofcom about this.

0 Kudos
Channelman
Tuning in
Message 98 of 133
Flag for a moderator

My solution was to add the calling number to my saved contact named "JUNK CALL".

I have quite a few numbers saved for this "person".

The ringtone I have selected for this "caller" is a silent mp3 file.

Doesn't bother me at all :-)

0 Kudos
8210GUY
Tuning in
Message 99 of 133
Flag for a moderator

That way is fine but you have to deal with the call first, e.g. checking if it's legit or not, but there is a better way to do this that means you never have to more, as it works off of a database of spam numbers, and process any actions for you, but there are always going to be numbers that have not yet been flagged, and you can report the number yourself, I will list some options under thins for those who may be interested, and these App's and tools are not aimed at Virgin, But, some users have reported this type of call so they now block it by default, but hope they help.

Should I Answer?; I strongly recommend going into the settings to set it up for what you want, but most important is check the option for pick up and hang up, this stops it going to your voice mail, needless to say there are more App's like this.

TPS (Telephone Preference Service); This is law, it's a government support to help stop the spam callers, it has both, Land Line, and Mobile (via sending a text, they say it's free, but from memory you get charged for it, the same rate as normal text's), after 28 days it becomes illegal to cold call someone who is registered to this service, and watch them hang up fast when you say your on the TPS service, and you can report any that don't abide by the list (probably use a random number dialler), you will never know if anything comes from it (data protection stuff), but they will no doubt take action when needed.

0 Kudos
pwilson276
Joining in
Message 100 of 133
Flag for a moderator

Just received a call to my non-virgin mobile too from this number.

The sales rep didn't appreciate me not confirming my details to an unsolicited call.

She also seemed to think it was acceptable to tell me that 'It's ok I'll confirm it's Virgin Media once you've confirmed your identity by giving me your details'.

She hung up when I continued to refuse to do so.

VM in this age of Cyber attacks & Scams, do you think it's ok to contact customers from a random freefone number?

0 Kudos