Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
jamie88
Helpful Answer

wireless problems

Hi I had virgin installed yesterday but cannot connect to the wireless from my laptop but it works via ethernet cable when I try to connect through the wireless it says i am connected but only local or limited connection, I have a pc downstairs with a wireless stick and that seems to work fine ??

any suggestions ?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: wireless problems

few things would need to know since there is a common fix for this, but would need to check if it applies to yourself, can you supply:

1) make and model of laptop 

2) version of windows

also need to find what wireless adpater you have, to find this out click start -> right click my computer choose properties -> hardware or device manager expand network adpater and post the name of what's below the heading. 

first thing to do is on a wired connection is goto - http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ install all updates including any optional updates. 

If you can post back what the outcome was.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jamie88

Thanks I am installing updates now even though I done that last night and didn't solve anything my laptop is a compaq presario cq70 notebook pc with vista, network adapters: Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter and Realtek RT8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
LaineY

If you have an Atheros wireless adapter you are one .. of thousands who have called VM in the last 3 months. It appears Atheros did not release an update for WPA / WPA2 Encrypted WIFI networks for some models of their Atheros Wireless Adapters..

Have you tried directly wired and go into device manager.. right click your atheros (under network adapters) and update drivers and choose the automatic search option.

This is effecting windows 7 and vista machines.

whats the exact message you get when you try to connect or when it fails etc?

** Please DO NOT Post Your Modem Serial Number, MAC Address Or Your IP Address!**
All opinions expressed here or in any correspondence are my own, and not those of Virgin Media.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jamie88

Thank you very much lainey I done what you said and now have wireless working.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
LaineY

MAGIC!!! Enjoy :smileyvery-happy:

** Please DO NOT Post Your Modem Serial Number, MAC Address Or Your IP Address!**
All opinions expressed here or in any correspondence are my own, and not those of Virgin Media.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
tiktok

Hi, having same problem, connecting. Engineer installed yesterday, have netgear vmdg280, but still not able to connect to net via wireless. rang customer support, they said need to update adapter drivers, tried this, even though system says mine are up todate. managed to connect via cable, after re boots, but still cant connect via wireless. When I try it says in system tray that iam connected, with excellent signal, but when i go into status, it gives ipv4 no internet access, same under ipv6.

activity packets sent, but not received. I have laptop make Medio/ model Akoya E5218 MD98 windows 7 explorer 8. Adapter Realtek RTL8191SE Lan 802.11n PCI E Nic

Driver version 2014.1.401 2010

I have a o2 dongle mobile, which connects no problem.  can anyone help after hours of frustration?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
tiktok

well, just managed to connect via wireless, at last.:smileysurprised:  34 hours later, after  so called installation!

I disabled my windows 7 firewall program that have in systems tray, as  this seem to be stopping connection via ethernet cable firstly. The firewall i downloaded sometime ago, not had a problem when using o2 mobile dongle though.

installed more up todate adapter driver, but still could not connect, then again went into network connections to try again to manually connect, right clicked and did a diagnose for the upteenth time, but this time! it found something and fixed it, said DHCP was fixed, and i was connected. the netgear device is now showing in Network too, but as CG2100D.

Anyway hope this may help others having problems, think virgin media need to do more with technical support help, i received no help when the engineer came, who just fixed cable from wall to box, and left me to do the rest, did not receive any instructions, on paper or CD

Please use plain text.