Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
darijag12

wireless network not reachable

I have Windows Vista on my laptop, and I was using Virgin Media Hub as a wireless point of access.

For the last three months everything was working fine until yesterday when the connection just cut off. After that I was not able to connect to the network at all.

I have tired everything. Turn off the hub, turn of the laptop, but I couldn't even see my network in the wireless network list on my network connections list. It shows up on the list, in green, but won't connect me.

Seems like the lights on the hub are working fine (the one bz the WiFi sign, and bottom three).

I have called the Customer Care. First time they walked me through all the "turn-off, turn-on" procedure.

They said that the hub is working fine since they can see that it is on.

I told them that I can't see the connection, and when I can actually see it, it doens't connect me.

They told me that there is something probably wrong with my computer.

After another try with my laptop, I tried to connect with my cell phone. My cell phone also doesn't see my network.

I called the Customer Care again, and then spent 30 min talking to the technical support person. We tried everything, even the Ethernet connection. My computer didn't recognize that connection either, so the guy couldn't help me doing it remote.

So, how is possible that my connection just cuts off, and I am not able to connect at all. Two devices can't see the network. My LAN can't recognize the network. And there is still EVERYTHING FINE with the hub ?!?!

Is there any way I can get someone over from Virgin Media to try the network on their devices and if it is not working to replace it with another hub????

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Re: wireless network not reachable

Hi darijag12,

Can you advise if you have tried pinhole resetting the hub? If so and this has not resolved your issue can you advise the manufacturer of your wireless adapter? Is it Atheros? If so please check this sticky out.

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
darijag12

Hi,

yes, I have tried the Reset pinhole. It still didn't work.

All my adaptors (integrated in HP laptop) seem to work ok (according to the Manage Device list).

I have an Intel Centrino processor and the integrated Intel R PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (integrated Wireless LAN (WLAN)).

I regulary make Windows updates as well. Is it possible that recent updates made my adaptors not compatibile with the hub somehow?!

Thank you for helping,

Darija

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Paul_B

Hi Darijag12,

I notice a replacment has already been ordered, was this received? If so has this resolved the issue?

Regards.

Paul Buchanan

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
darijag12

Hi Paul_B,

I have recieved a replacement hub. I connected it and called the Customer Support in order to change the MAC number and release the signal. I didn't have problem connecting. It worked for 45 minutes without any problem and then it cut me off again, and since then I can not connect and I have the same problem. No WLAN, no LAN. It is almost like there is something that is blocking the signal from the hub. Sometime I can see the network, sometime it is gray (very low signal), and sometime it is green (very good signal). Even though it is green, I  still can't connect.

My network drivers and adapters are updated. No exclamation or cross mark next to any of them (in the Manage Device)

I called the Customer Care again and I requested an engineer to come over and check the connection from this side, but it seems that is almost imposible to get. I have spent two more phone calls with the Customer Care, going through all those steps again......ending up on trying to ping pages in Command Prompt window and nothing (30 min on phone to get to that point).

I am so tired and annoyed by this situation. It is almost like I feel that there is nothing more I could do. From Virign side it looks ok, from my side looks ok, but the connection is still not working.

I ended up buying mobile connection stick from the other company because I need the internet for work.

I will probably aks for the cutting of the contract early even if this Broadband was less expensive and more convenient for me, I would rather pay more and have a connection.

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
James_G

Hi darijag12,

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue with your wireless connection.

Could you please confirm if are still able to connect via an Ethernet cable while this issue is occurring?

Does the wireless light on the hub stay lit while this issue is occurring?

What is the full error message you receive?

If the wireless light stays on and you can connect via Ethernet cable then this will point to something interfering with your wireless signal.

Are you in the same room as the hub? If not are you able to connect if you take a laptop into the same room?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on the hub? (you may need to try a few before you find the best one for your network)

Is your laptop/PC set to automatically assign an IP address in the wireless network settings?

Regards,

James Gilbert

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
darijag12

Hi James,

Miraculously, my connection started to work on Saturday. I don't know if my problems are gone and if this will last, but since the last time I have tried to connect I haven't touched anything, and now it works. So, I really don't know what the problem was and if it will come back again. Obviously my drivers and adopters are working fine.

To answer your questions....

No, I wan't able to connect via Ethernet cable either. Customer help over the phone wanted to connect remote in order to change channels or make other changes, but my computer didn't recognize the signal from the hub at all. I even went to buy a new Ethernet cable because I was told that is probably the problem in the cable. But, it was the same with the new one.

Sometimes my wireless network list didn't even see the network (it was not on the list, or if it was it was gray scale), and sometimes I could see my network in green with a good signal and it will still not let me connect. 

I am in the same room as the hub. Pretty much 3 m away from it.

The lights on the hub were green and they were lit and stalling. There were 4 lights on. The Wi-Fi one, and the bottom three (check mark, arrow mark and power mark). When I tried to connect to any of the Ethernet ports on the hub, none of those lights would lid.

Like I mentioned before in my messages, it was almost like my laptop didn't recognize the signal from the hub, almost like it was blocket, whether the wireless or Ethernet.

I tried everything, from reseting the hub, to checking my adaptors and drivers.

I got a new hub, it worked fine for about 45 min, and then I had the same problem again. The message I would get that I am not able to connecto to the network, and when I diagnosed it it said that the signal might be low or it doesn't exist), even when the signal was seen as green.

So, after so many tries I got a mobile connection stick and I was working the whole week with it. I didn't change anything after that. On Saturday I tried to connect to the Virgin again and it connected like there was no problem at all. I hope it is going to be ok now.

I really had a feeling that something was blocking the signal and that is why I wanted someone to come over and check with some other devices if something is wrong. Hopefully, it is going to work now.

If it will stop working I will send you a message. Just wanted to let you know that after not being able to connect for 10 days and after a lot of frustrations, now it is working just fine.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
darijag12

Well, my happiness didn't last too long. My connection was working great for 4 days, and now I have the same problem again. I don't know when is the next time I am going to be able to connect to my network, and if I do, what possible changes should I make. I can not use the Ethernet connection as well. So, the same problem that last time lasted for 10 day..... I am just glad that I have have a mobile connection from other company. It is really annoying when you are paying for something that doesn't work......

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Rose_R

Hi darijag12,

Does the ethernet connection fail when trying to connect to other devices?

I have sent you a PM, can you please reply with the information requested and we will look into this for you.

Regards,

Rose Rafferty

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.