Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
tonyg992

virgin superhub netgear VMDG480 pdf instructions

Hi,

can anyone help i recently had virgin broadband installed 60mb when te enginear left he also took my instruction book on how to use my hub.

Is there anywhere i can download a pdf copy of the instruction book? Also what the hell does the button do on the side of my hub.I'm only getting about 25 to 33mb download speed  instead of 60mb will this increase over the next fe days or do i need to make changes to the hub settings

yours very confuzzled

Tony

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Re: virgin superhub netgear VMDG480 pdf instructions

Hi Tony

A manual for the Superhub can be found here.

When you say you are getting 25 - 33Mb download speed is this wired or wireless?

What site are you using to do your speedtest, if it is speedtest.net be aware that some of their servers seem to struggle to get above 25Mb/s lately, although London/Namesco and Paris are usually reliable.

If this is a wireless connection, can you try a speedtest through a wired connection and let us know the results?

The above is aimed at making sure you are getting what you should be to the hub.  Once this is done then we can continue by tweaking the wireless settings.

Finally the button on the side of the router is a WPS Push n Connect button.

If you have other devices that support this feature then Pressing this button so it flashes will enable you to set up WiFi connections with these devices automatically.  A longer press on the button actually turns whe WiFi off and on.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
tonyg992

thank you for the pdf link. I'm currently on virgin 60mb  but running the superhub on wirless i done my speed test at www.speedtest.net on  a local connection close to home but got a download speed of 22mb and another Test i got 33mb my upload speed was 2.97mb and 2.90 

Regards

Tony

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Hi Tony

Proximity to you doesn't necessarily mean the server is the best one to use.  For example Birmingham doesn't seem to get above 30Mb/s on a wired connection lately.

As previously asked have you tested via a wired connection to verify that you are getting the full download speed?

Rule of thumb I have picked up is start with the basic connection via wired and check that.  THEN once we have established you are getting what you paid for over wired, we can look at improving the wireless.

Tim

Please use plain text.
Crafty
xela6378

I alos think that it should be made clear by VM that the speed we are paying for is Wired not necessarly Wireless.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
tonyg992

i havent tried a wired connection but i will and i will post the results.

As regards vm not giving u the speeds that you have asked for unless its a wired conection surley i wouldnt drop like 40mb a sec would i? Bt wirless hub gives u the speed u ask for

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

tonyg992 wrote:

Bt wirless hub gives u the speed u ask for

there is a firmware release soon for the superhub which is hopefully going to sort out the wireless issues on the superhub

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

[ Edited ]

Hi Tony

With regards BT Wireless hub, I think even that depends on what speeds those are.  My brother has a home hub on an ADSL2 Connection and that struggled to reach the other end of his flat.

Wireless N can give max real life Speeds of up to 150Mb/s although this is in bonded mode (Up to 300Mb/s) which has it's own issues as using it means you need clear reception accross half the 2.4Ghz Spectrum.  This is why VM updated the settings so Bonded mode is off by default.  Even so in up to 145Mb/s you should see speeds on or near 60Mb/s.

The wireless settings may need tweaking to improve reception, but before I offer that advice I just wanted to make sure the basic connection is alright hence the request for a wired test.

I will repeat also that speedtest.net is not 100% accurate.  The result depends on which server you are using.

To give you a comparison on my curremt setup, which does NOT use the Superhub. On a 100Mb/s connection through a wireless N150 Connection

Speedtest Server        Wired        Wireless

Birmingham               36.73Mb/s  22.47Mb/s

London Nameco         92.28Mb/s  39.58Mb/s

The way I have my system set up my wireless speed is currently unlikely to get much above 40Mb/s as I am running The Guest Network as well however over wired you can see the difference in performance between the two servers.

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Lindsey_P

Hi tonyg992,

Sorry that you've encountered issues with your connection. Can you confirm whether or not the information provided by the users within this thread has been useful or resolved the issue?

Kind Regards,

Lindsey P

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.